Can you help me out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

22engine

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just got a little more live rock for my tank. I I found this really cool piece that looks like a tree kinda. I get it home and in the tank I notice all this stuff on it. Can you please help me identify it.

First is this orange red looking thing. Can see mouth on it.

View attachment 103415

Next are these blue things. Kinda look a bulb in the picture. There are like ten or more

View attachment 103416

Last is this clear object

View attachment 103417

Any help I appreciate. New here and not sure if there are bad

Nice rock! The orange things look like tunicates. Very good filter feeder. You can see the "mouths" open and close. The blue things look like zoa polyps and the clear ones are filter feeding sponges. All are good. And again, nice rock.

Sweet. There are also some other things I am seeing. Can't believe it. It was 3/4 of a pound and price was 7.99 a pound. I am trying the get other pictures. Also I have stock lighting on my bio cube. I place this piece in the sand bed cause of its looks but should I move it up more for better lighting or is it ok

The sponge and the tunicates don't need the light. See if the zoa's open and thrive. If not move it up. I'm not familiar with the BC lights, but it's not a huge piece, so you,can move it around if need be. The zoa's need moderate light. Mine a mid tank under my led fixtures.

Good luck! Those zoa's like they are either blue or green. My greens ones look blue when they close at night.

Here is another shot kinda look like they are opening there has to be like 20. I can see the orange one opening and closing his mouth.

View attachment 103422

Very nice. If they aren't consistently open when the lights are on after a week, move them up. I loved my tunicates, but at the time, I had a nasty passer angel that gobbled them all up. Haven't had any rock with them since. They will grow too, we had them under stock fluorescent lights at the time. The mouths almost look to,be puckering. Very cool. I just came back from the Lfs, and I am acclimating a fire shrimp, frogspawn coral and open brain coral.

If you want to keep coral, I think their are people on here who have modified the lights in the BC to LEDs

There are from front I have read I can keep most soft corals just can't get into the SPS ones with the lighting. Since I put them in an hour ago it seems they have all pretty much opened. I am really happy with the store I found. They are the type that puts tanks together and you can pay them to take care of it. Compared to the other stores I went to it is much higher standards. Everything is spotless and they have huge tanks with corals. Also they won't let you take any USB home till it has been in there corienteen tank for atleast a week. That piece had a emerald crab on it as well but he let go at the last second. The guy was like to bad cause I could have whatever was on it.

They will definitely open more. I don't do the sps either, but love the Lps, zoa's shrooms, and softies. See how it goes and add for their. Btw, emeralds can be a bit nasty...or so I have heard. Mine have always been fine, but I have mead froms others

Thanks for the advice. New to the whole salt water world.

Anytime. I was too about 3 years ago, now I know more than my hubby who has had tanks since he was a kid. Just started our reef from a fowlr a few months ago. Very relaxing. Just go slow and steady. It will prevail. The key in this hobby is $$ and patience.

Learning the patients thing for sure. A lot of hurry up and wait.

Nice score on the rock, looks to be 3-4 different color varieties of zoas. The stock bio cube lights are power compacts and should be capable of handling any softies and LPS.

Back
Top Bottom