Can you ID my plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone,

First, I'm an absolute planted tank newbie and I'm trying to learn as I go.

I'm hoping you can identify a couple of my plants for me and confirm they'll work with my setup. I kind of winged it at the lfs and tried to pick some that I'd heard would be suitable from people on the forum...but a couple of them are mystery plants to me, lol.

I've got a 48 gallon, height is ~20'', I've got duel T-5 HO 39 watt bulbs...1 Ultra Sun and the other actinic.

The plants I know are the Morimo Ball, Vals, Water Sprite and Java Moss and I believe Microswords(?). The tall one in the rear center, and the thin spriggy one on the right is a mystery to me.

Does it look like everything is suitable? Do you know what all the plants are?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Upload 171.jpg
    Upload 171.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Upload 165.jpg
    Upload 165.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Upload 168.jpg
    Upload 168.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Upload 169.jpg
    Upload 169.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 87
The one in the middle looks like rotala rotundifolia. I'm not sure though. I have the same plant on the right. I got it last week and I would also like to find out...

I see java moss in ther, and maybe some ambulia? Also a marimo moss ball.

I agree.

I also see some mondo grass I think (if that is a real plant in the middle-back). Unfortunately, it is not a true aquatic.

The mondo grass is fake luckily. My RCS have turned it into their village, lol. After looking at the pics online, I'm also leaning towards the one in the center back being the rotala rotundifolia.

I am curious what the spriggy thing on the right is. I actually got it from Severum Mama when I ordered my Bolivian Ram...I have no idea what it is. I asked her and she said it was my "mystery plant", lol. It has grown like crazy (tall) since I got it.

Any suggestions of a replacement for that giant red thing in the back right? The room my tank is in has a reddish theme, so I need to find something that will grow with my light setup with that color. Other than the small things attached to the DW, it's my only fake plant left.

mfdrookie516 said:
The one on the right of the 'mondo grass' is ambulia

Thanks! One mystery solved!

By the mondo grass, are you guys referring to what is at the base of the red thing? Those are microswords in the front, right?

I searched online about the light requirement for 'roseafolia' and it's a medium light plant. I'm not sure how much light you have. May be if you replace the actinic? May be somebody else will chime in on how much lighting you have now.

roydooms said:
I searched online about the light requirement for 'roseafolia' and it's a medium light plant. I'm not sure how much light you have. May be if you replace the actinic? May be somebody else will chime in on how much lighting you have now.

My girl would make me sleep on the couch if I took out the actinic, lol.

mfdrookie516 said:
Hmmm..... doesn't look like the microsword I've seen. Looks identical to mondo grass- Mondo Grass? or is it....

Yep. Looks like I broke rule #1 about listening to the lfs. Luckily I know to just tune out anything they say about fish...I guess the same goes for plants, lol. Should I pull it out? Any negatives other than it dying if I leave it in? Any good replacements that are similar? (sorry so many questions).

If you can get a good picture of the plant and the root system, somebody like fort, who has far more experience than myself, might be able to give you a 100% answer on whether that's mondo grass or not. If it is, you'll know within a month or so.

Back
Top Bottom