Can you smell it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sixtyfou

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think a cycled tank has a certain smell. The best way I can describe it is that it smells like a turtle.

When I was little we had a "boxed" and a "painted". I ate a snapper once, but I have know idea what he smelled like raw;)

Out of the tanks I've had during the years, what I could tell is an uncycled tank, with high ammonia levels has a kind of pungent faint rotten smell, while a cycled tank is exactly like old scales says that it has a wet earth smell. I've also noticed a tank with an algae problem has like a faint fishery odor to it, kind of what you would smell in a seafood restaurant next to the coast.

Snappers taste good but they are nasty things! I agree a well cycled tank smells like dirt. Or humus to be more exact. I love gardening and dirt and having my hands in the dirt. So for me I love the smell.

what I could tell is an uncycled tank, with high ammonia levels has a kind of pungent faint rotten smell
Ugh I have been wondering why my [uncycled] hospital tank smells so bad (and the ammonia isn't even high)

I like the way my big tank smells, earthy and natural.

Snappers taste good but they are nasty things! I agree a well cycled tank smells like dirt. Or humus to be more exact. I love gardening and dirt and having my hands in the dirt. So for me I love the smell.

I live in an area that shotguns are common.

Snapping turtles are commonly eaten around the US I don't see what's the problem with eating one? I mean its there may as well use it lol. People in India who honor cows could be like ewww why do Americans eat cattle lol.

Agreed, def. an Earthy Smell to my long time cycled tanks. My new Christmas Tank just smells, well, like nothing yet lol

This doesn't make any sense.

You can do a 100% water change and still be cycled so a cycled tank can't have too much an impact on smell? Uncycled conversely or a tank that's missed a few water changes, stink like buggery.

I love the smell as well :)

Snapping turtles are commonly eaten around the US I don't see what's the problem with eating one? I mean its there may as well use it lol. People in India who honor cows could be like ewww why do Americans eat cattle lol.

Well we eat cattle because they're large creatures which are easy to keep and produce a lot of food for us.

Ehh, I'm not going to get in to this.

No offense but cows are not that easy to keep. Besides, the cows in india are not like the beef cows we consume, so it's like apples and oranges to compare the two.

Snapping turtles are eaten but not on any real large scale. I had it as a kid. I hear people also eat seafood ;)

I agree about a healthy tank usually smelling good, if I don't keep with water changes I can usually be like 'ah crap that kinda stinks' lol.

No offense but cows are not that easy to keep.

Growing up raising cattle here in florida im going to argue that they are petty east to keep. Good eaten too. :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom