Can your tank water make you sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The circumference of my siphon makes it difficult to get it going this way without disrupting the sand and scaring the life out of my fish.

It is another method though.

Yes, fill the syphon tube (I'm assuming the plastic end of a gravel vac) by holding horizontally. Upturn it, using the tube as a tank (above water), as the water siphons into the hose, pinch hose. Return syphon tube to horizontal (submerged) allow air to escape from open end, Release pinch, et voila.

Just a hose, insert into filter outlet.

(Edit, I read it is, as, is there)

I just got one with the primer ball and it works pretty well.

I had (have) ones with a silly flap valve. They scare the fish rotten! All the tubes I use are the same manufacturer. So I devised that method as it really doesn't bother them so much. (And the silly flap valve clogs easy, so I binned it, that stopped the pump suck motion, so to begin syphon I used to submerge the whole unit, I got tired of getting wet hands/arms)

I'm super lazy so for my small syphon I bought a squeeze ball for the end. I actually really like it because I can squeeze it to create a stronger spray effect so I use it to wash my sponges with tank water or whatever else I put down in my bucket. It works really well!

On the actual topic - I always have tons of little cuts/tears on my fingers and around my nails so if I ever get TB in my tank I'm gonna be dead. I don't worry so much about the rest of it. But of course have good hand washing :)
I've gotten tank water in my mouth before, if I get a bit of wood stuck in my siphon hose and have to blow it back out...

I do the same as J. Mcpeak. I just fill the end that goes in the tank and tip it up. When there is only an inch of water in the suction end i just cover the drainage end with a finger (traps air or water in the line while you dip again). Once you have the suction end submerged again, aim the drainage end to your bucket and let go with your finger. Works everytime and i have never swallowed tank water.

Get a python type system and no worries about water in the mouth from syphoning ever again. ;)

TB isn't the only thing, there's also a small chance of salmonella as well. Though chances of catching either is relatively miniscule.

I do the same as J. Mcpeak. I just fill the end that goes in the tank and tip it up. When there is only an inch of water in the suction end i just cover the drainage end with a finger (traps air or water in the line while you dip again). Once you have the suction end submerged again, aim the drainage end to your bucket and let go with your finger. Works everytime and i have never swallowed tank water.

That's a better description! Yes it works every time. (Make sure you're aiming at the bucket!)

Back
Top Bottom