Canister filter in my 110 tall.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lumis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys a lil advice. I have been doing salt water fish for a few yrs. I guess by the seat of my pants. I run a canister filter. Clean it out and water change every few months. Never had to much of a problem. From reading the forms I should be. Any ideas. I do hardy fish. Lionfish. 2 triggers. A tang, puffer, grouper and eel. Is my tank a time bomb? Thanks for any help.

Your fish is living in polluted water. What are your water parameters?

I would never want to go to Mexico City because the air is toxic. People still live there anyways. Will they have long-term healthy issues? Yup.

I do test strips every week. Everything stays in the safe. Once it gets to close to stress or toxic u do the water change. I really only gotta do it every 3 months our so. I want healthy fish. I don't want them feeling sick.

Lumis said:
I do test strips every week. Everything stays in the safe. Once it gets to close to stress or toxic u do the water change. I really only gotta do it every 3 months our so. I want healthy fish. I don't want them feeling sick.

Test strips can be inaccurate, you should get the API liquid test kits. Those things are spot on!! Lol with fish tanks, you should really do water changes every week, especially with SW. Whats the size of the tank?

Austin.b said:
Test strips can be inaccurate, you should get the API liquid test kits. Those things are spot on!! Lol with fish tanks, you should really do water changes every week, especially with SW. Whats the size of the tank?

Just realized you said it was a 110 gallon>.<

Really every week. I will get the liquid tests. For sure. So evan if it tests good I should change the water?

Lumis said:
Really every week. I will get the liquid tests. For sure. So evan if it tests good I should change the water?

Yeah, sometimes I change my tanks water 2 times a week. Yes, even if tests come out good, I would still do a water change just to be safe:)

Yes.

Frequency and amount of water change depends if you have live rocks, skimmer, macroalgae.

If you only have a canister filter, then you should be doing water changes every week (preferably 50% due to your livestock).

Lots if live rock and sand. It seems so much. 50 gals a week. What if I get a wet dry?

Your live rocks are better for biological filtration than wet/dry. How many pounds do you have?

There are actually thousands of pollutants in the water since your fish release a lot of waste. Ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte are easily measured by hobby test kits. We are able to use nitrAte to measure the amount of total pollution in the water. Your live rocks are reducing the nitrAte reading, so you will never know how your water is doing..

Weekly water change will help significantly. Skimmers will also help take out some of the pollutants in your water. Consider HOB skimmer if you don't already have one. Perhaps even getting a HOB refugium and grow some chaeto. Plus clean the canister every 1-2 weeks. If you don't remove the solid waste, then they will slowly dissolve into the water.

Thank you so much. I have been going months with out doing anything but monitoring.

If I went to a nice 150 gal rated wet dry would I be good for once a month water changes. Is there a combo to use not to have to water change?

wet/dry wouldn't do very little for your current setup. There is really nothing you can do in an aquarium setting to eliminate water changes. With the best equipment and understocking your tank, you can reduce the amount of water changes to once per month.

For the price of a wet/dry, you can buy a skimmer and add a refugium to grow chaeto. Then if you still have time, build an algae turf scrubber. Those are the 3 equipment that can help reduce the frequency/amount of water changes.

Thank you. I am looking that stuff up now.

Another reason for water changes is that the salt mix has the essential elements in it that are used up by corals and fish. Newly mixed water replaces those trace elements.

Another reason for water changes is that the salt mix has the essential elements in it that are used up by corals and fish. Newly mixed water replaces those trace elements.

Yep, water changes don't just take out the nasties, it adds the good stuff.

depending on stocking and feeding you can get away with water changes every other week, I do massive changes on my big tank, like 40g or more like every other week.

If you want to improve water quality I would highly recommend a skimmer. They can be a little pricey but after you see what it draws out of your water you'll be amazed you didn't get one sooner. lol

When i was running a canister on my other tank I cleaned it out every other week, those things store up all sorts of nasties and gunk, so at least work on that aspect. :)

Till I can get a good wet dry would it be smart to take my bio balls and ceramics out of my canister and put LR rubble in. Also I have seen posts on a algie scrubber. Anyone have any good links about them. What they do. How they work or how to make them.

Back
Top Bottom