canister/sump questions - please help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nafuzy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55gal with a custom built 20 gal sump/refugium. Im shifting to a 110gal which comes with a canister filter. My overflow I made is not as strong as my rio2100 return pump.

Would it be a good idea to use the canister as an intake to my sump; only putting nitrate and prefilter sponges in it, so that the flow of the combined unit would be stronger??? Isn't that a great idea????? Like the water would come in the canister, pass through some sponges for detritus, then exit "into" the sump to go through bioballs live rock matrix and then the refuge but at a stronger rate?!?!

Wouldn't that be amazing?! Would it be smart??? Would it work?????

I wouldn't do that if i were you,you would need to match the filter pump to the return pump flow,this would be virtually immpossible,causing floods.
just throttle the return pump down,if the pump doesn't have a built in valve fit one in the return pipework.

Indeed, as stated above matching the two pumps would be almost impossible. Further, imagine the mess if for some reason one of the pumps shut down or throttled way back on the flow.

Thanks alot guys! I got a new U-tube for my overflow so I got the 20 gal sump and the canister separate and the turnover for the sump alone is incredible!! Almost 1400-1500 fog and that doesn't include powerheads (3) and canister! !

Will that be a good idea even if I upgrade to a 55 gal sump/ refugium?? And where should I have it take and deposit the water; the final "return" chamber??

Wow im pretty excited that's a good idea!!!! Like phosphate remover seachem media kinda stuff????

I was talking with some reef addicts and they said the reactor is a bad idea because it would cause conflictions with the refugiums functions and they do the same thing anyways except a risk you gm has many more applications in a phosphate reactor

Back
Top Bottom