Cannister Filter advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zipperfly58

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just today bought a 55 gallon setup to re home my Mbuna's. My question is I want to buy a canister filter, what do you guys think of the API XPI -L. My LFS says the best bang for buck and they don't break down. Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.

I have no experience other than the Cascade canisters. If you need to, the cascades work great! Been using them for over 6 years

API is a nice unit. Self priming is a nice feature. The large is more than enough filter for 55 gal. Look around to get ideas on pricing.

I've been using the Cascade filters (too) for well over a decade. The ball valves just above the hose disconnects make filter maintenance very easy, and dry. I run the 1200 on a 60 ga. Before that, I was a Fluval guy, running mostly saltwater back then. I got cheap as I aged.

I'd say most name brand canisters are good filters, and support them with media fit for
their product. It's a big step up from OTB filters.

Aquatop with a uv sterilizer can't beat it for the price very comparable to a sunsun

I just did a Sunsun 703b and absolutely love it! Picked it up for around $70 on ebay. Make sure whatever canister you get, watch the YouTube video from pondguru on supercharging your canister filter.

I firmly stand by Hagen.
All of my filters are Hagen Fluval series and they haven't let me down.
The oldest is a Fluval 205 bought in March of 2005 and it still works!
It's had new sponges and an "o" ring. That's it.

All filters go through o rings so that's a nothing comment.

I just did a Sunsun 703b and absolutely love it! Picked it up for around $70 on ebay. Make sure whatever canister you get, watch the YouTube video from pondguru on supercharging your canister filter.

Me too! It's a big beast of burden and I love it.

Back
Top Bottom