can't find fish in west central florida!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ceratophyllum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been in and out of the hobby for about 20 years and I've noticed that the variety of fish species at aquarium shops, at least in the Tampa Bay area, has drastically decreased. There are about 5 shops within 20 miles of my house and it's great, if you only want live bearers, the easiest gouramis, goldfish, easy tetras, chinese algae eaters, and tank-destroyer cichlids (Oscar, Dempsey, etc).

Loaches (except Botia Macracantha, which can usually be found plentifully but half-dead in most shops) are impossible to find. Just saw 3 Jordanella for the first time in YEARS. Freshwater "sharks" I see maybe once in a while. I think I saw one Elephant Fish in the late '90s. Its getting to where one has to drive hundreds of miles and make long distance calls to find a particular fish-or wait for YEARS. Salespeople always tell me that they'll have the fish I'm looking for in a week, ask for my number, and then NEVER call me back.

Is it a good idea to buy fish online? Do mailed fish arrive alive? Could someone recommend an online fish seller? Is this a good alternative to lfs.

Also, having regularly visited many aquarium shops over the years in the Bay area, neglect and cruelty seem to be the norm in such places. Fish are always overstocked or kept improperly. I saw 10 2" green spotted puffers in a freshwater 10 gallon! 50 clown loaches in a 10 gal! Goldfish too many to count, usually in less than 30 gals. Tiny black kuhli loaches being kept with angelfish, who were making a meal of them.
At one shop, I was told African Dwarf and Clawed frogs were the same thing!

Except for in 1 shop, I always find something awful in most lfs.

As for aquatic plants, I have only seen one lfs that kept a selction of them in decent shape. They also grow most of them on site. This place is over 100 miles away and it's all sprawl--not fast country roads--between me and it. Normally, shops have 2 or 3 species (Amazon Sword, anacharis, hornwort) at most and, unless they just came in, they look terrible.
Typical salespeople can't even identify plants.

Is it like this in other regions of the country? I would say, 8 out of 10 shops, salespeople are ignorant and have no interest in the care of the fish. They get upset or annoyed if you ask too many questions. The worst are usually walmart and petsmart, but the mom and pop shops are not much better.
Sorry to go on and on, but I have just seen too much bad fishkeeping too often. And I'd like to be able to stock a tank without having to drive all day or buy sick fish from *marts.

There is at least one mailorder house down in Tampa ... I'm up in Gainesville adn I found them on the web linked from aquabid or something... http://fish2u.com/ they may allow "in store" pickups since you are local.

Shoudl you need to travel, there is a good LFS here that has a good variaty, but mostly saltwater.

Back
Top Bottom