Can't get ammonia and nitrate to 0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon tank that's been running for about 2 and a half months now. Currently have 6 rummy nose tetras, 2 angelfish, 4 dwarf gouramis and a bala shark. For the last month and a half my readings have been pretty consistent at 0.25 ammonia, 0 nitrite and nitrate 10. The nitrate goes down to 5 typically a few hours after a water change which I've been doing every 4 or 5 days. Just wondering why my ammonia and nitrate have yet to come down to 0. My nitrite has been 0 for the last month and a half.

Thanks

Your nitrate won't reach zero. In freshwater tanks theres only a few things that can remove nitrates most notably of which is plants. Don't worry about it though, 10ppm is a very good nitrate reading. As long as you keep it at less than 40ppm you should do just fine.

As for the ammonia, its possible that your test kit is giving you a false reading. Try taking a sample of water in to your lfs and see if they get the same thing.

Means your tank is cycling. You must little water change. Nitrates at 10 is ok.

Never clean your filters under tap water, it kills the BB that converts ammonia-->nitrites-->nitrates.

My API ammonia test kit always give me a little false positive in both my SW and FW tank.

Means your tank is cycling. You must little water change. Nitrates at 10 is ok.

Never clean your filters under tap water, it kills the BB that converts ammonia-->nitrites-->nitrates.

My API ammonia test kit always give me a little false positive in both my SW and FW tank.

Ok so nothing to worry about then?

with a 10ppm reading of nitrates there isn't going to be extra ammonia in the water. Especially a reading as low as .25ppm There's nothing to worry about, especially if the lfs tells you that your water is safe.

with a 10ppm reading of nitrates there isn't going to be extra ammonia in the water. Especially a reading as low as .25ppm There's nothing to worry about, especially if the lfs tells you that your water is safe.

Great. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom