Can't get my nitrates down [emoji853]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jen106

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sort of an update to a post I did a month or so ago.

55 gallon, the big emperor filter, 7 fish (one is a goldfish- and no I can't get rid of him). My nitrates were through the roof and the fish store lady suggested a 90% water change over the course of several days. Did that over the course of a week and vacuumed the heck out of the gravel. Even took all the decor out and cleaned it all. Used Prime every time I added new water. Changed the charcoal and blue filter cartridges. This was three weeks ago and have done two ~25% water changes (while vacuuming the gravel and adding Prime.) Tank is clearer than it's ever been and my Image1490477722.141349.jpgnitrates are *better* but still high (80ppm.) Water also tests a little low on alkalinity. It's slightly hard and pH is 7.8.

I want to get a rope fish again but not until my nitrates are under control or I might as well throw $30 into the garbage can.

What can I do? More water changes? Add bacteria starter? SOS...PLS HALP!!

If it's that established of a tank I would consider a 50% wc and possibly removing 50% of gravel to rinse thoroughly with a hose and pressure and repeat a few times. Gravel is a nitrate factory and with a 55 gallon it's difficult to get a complete vacuum of gravel, especially with only changing 25% at a time. From what I've read easiest cure for nitrates is wc's and more wc's. If you had sand or bare bottom tank I would say just do wc's but chances are those nitrates are buried in the gravel and that's why your not seeing them go down as quick as you would like. Rinsing 50% of gravel thoroughly outside the tank with warm tap water should leave enough in tank to be heathy and knock that ppm number way down too.

On the bright side nitrates are a lot easier to manage than nitrites and ammonia being off the charts...

Yes, it's established. It was a cichlid tank before I got it. It's big gravel and the tank was kinda gross. The dirty rocks make a lot of sense...

Do people use sand in their tropical tanks? Is there a benefit?

And yeah, at least ammonia and nitrites are 0!

nitrates can be brought down by adding live plants, they suck them right up! and if that doesn't work, and the water changes aren't helping, try Prime by Seachem. it actually helps a LOT. it detoxifies nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia. i had an awful off the charts nitrate problem in one of my tanks a few months ago and i did water changes every few days and added Prime and after a week or two it was down to a manageable level. give it a try if you can.

Are there plants that will work well in low light? I have an LED lamp, but it's a pretty base model and not super powerful.

I do use Prime after all my water changes.

I would float a bunch of anacharis. Those are very fast growing plants and floating should improve CO2 availability. They will so fine in low light. They are cheap and eat nitrates. And will survive goldfish.

I would float a bunch of anacharis. Those are very fast growing plants and floating should improve CO2 availability. They will so fine in low light. They are cheap and eat nitrates. And will survive goldfish.

Thanks!

Yes, it's established. It was a cichlid tank before I got it. It's big gravel and the tank was kinda gross. The dirty rocks make a lot of sense...

Do people use sand in their tropical tanks? Is there a benefit?

And yeah, at least ammonia and nitrites are 0!

I always use sand or nothing at all. It's finer and holds most of the "gook" above the top layer. Gravel has so much space between rocks that it's easy for stuff that produces nitrates to fall down and grow deep down in the substrate. I am a freshwater tropical guy and I highly recommend sand versus gravel and if not a main show tank barebottom is even better for quality water but obviously isn't as attractive to most.
If you didn't rinse gravel when you got tank from him I would definitely think that is your issue.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom