can't get my tank over 80 degrees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

horsedogfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
How do I get my tank over 80 degrees? I have the heater turned all the way up, but it cuts out at 80. Do i need to get some other kind of heater?

Why do you want it above 80? How big is you aquarium & what is the heater rated for?

Got ya! So again, what is your heater rated for and what size tank? Might need to bump up heater watt wise

Hello Horse...

If your tank is infected with "Ich", you'll need to remove and replace half the tank water every couple of days and do a good job of vacuuming the substrate. Most of the parasites will be living there. Keep the lights off in the tank and in the room too. Don't forget to dose a little standard aquarium salt. A teaspoon for every 5 gallons of the new, treated tap water is sufficient. You don't want to dose too much, because aquarium plants don't tolerate salt very well. 80 degrees is plenty warm enough. You don't want the water too warm or your plants can be damaged.

B

Can't use salt because of cories. Bought a new heater--same wattage (100 watts, 26 gallon bowfront). The other one was strong enough to heat the water but had an upper level governor on it so it wouldn't overheat the tank.

I've found a LFS where the woman is truly knowledgable and takes all the time I need to answer my questions. She suggested half doses of the ich + stuff and a copper thing, with a second half dose four hours later, and PWC every morning with titrated doses on days two, three, five, etc. So we'll see.

Luckily my plants are mostly water sprite, and they are inexpensive.

Thanks for the help. I'll keep you posted. So far the only fish that died was the gourami that brought the stuff to the tank in the first place.

Hello horse...

A teaspoon of standard aquarium, Kosher or commercial canning salt in the replacement water won't hurt your Corydoras. I've used it for years in my Cory tanks, I have probably 5 or 6 different species and they're fine with a little. Most aquarium fish will benefit from a bit of salt in their water and believe it or not, some of the "old school" approaches to tank keeping still work. Most pathogens that affect the skin of aquarium fish can't tolerate even a trace of salt in the water. That's why it's been used in high doses to treat infections. I've found it best to use a little salt on a routine basis, then a lot later.

Most, if not all tank problems are the result of poor water conditions. Keep the water properties stable by flushing a lot of pure, treated tap water through the tank regularly and do a good job of vacuuming the bottom and you'll get ahead of the parasite problem.

B

My parameters are 0,0, and 0 , pH is stable at 7.4, PWCs normally weekly, now every other day. Tank is cycled, water is crystal clear.

Put the new thermometer in last night. It is set at 86 but the tank is still 81. I will have to take it out when I change the water to set it higher because my hands are not strong enough to turn the know without pliers.

Six of my 18 fish have ich, from a now deceased Gourami.

Back
Top Bottom