Can't get PH down...HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdefino

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been doing water changes with RODI almost every 4days. It is still up around at least 8.6 or higher. I have a 75gal, 90lbs LR, 80lbs LS, remora Pro skimmer, aquaclear 500 foam and bio cubes and an oceanclear 325 with mircon media and carbon. How do I get the PH down and what will happen if I can't. What do I need to do?

Thanks for any help.

What time of day are you testing the pH and what is the midday and morning reading?

Cheers
Steve

What about the other two reading times I mentioned? What was the pH normally reading at for this time period and have there been any changes to your routine or the tank?

I would also look into what the saltmix tests at after it's been mixing for at least 12 hrs. If the pH is high there, then the water changes will not help.

It is quite normal for pH to climb throughout the day but it will not usually hit that level until closer to the end of your photoperiod. Be sure you are testing immediately after removing water from the tank as any ambient O2 from allowing the sample to sit will also increase the pH giving you a false reading. If possible also test some RO water to be sure the kit is accurate.

Be sure you are not testing after any buffer additions or similar chems. You need to wait 12 hrs before testing the pH.

Cheers
Steve

I will check the morning and night. It's hard to check the midday since I'm not home. I did check my RODI water and it was very low. I mixed the salt (crystal sea) and let it sit for about 9hrs covered and the PH is very high, like 8.6 or more. Could it be the Salt mix?

rdefino said:
I mixed the salt (crystal sea) and let it sit for about 9hrs covered and the PH is very high, like 8.6 or more. Could it be the Salt mix?
Sounds like it, especially if the pail was covered. Could simpley be you have a bad batch of salt. Post the alk/Ca readings as well or get the LFS to test them. Chances are good the alk will be quite high as well. If so I would contact the manufacturer for a replacement bucket.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom