Carbon Cartridges.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guy's, my sister has a 10 gallon tank for a betta, with a s20 gallon tank filter, and some carbon cartridges. Anyone give me any information on this because the info on google is quite vague. Also i'm not sure if its activated carbon or not.

What brand of filter is it? What information are you looking for?

Most of the time, running activated carbon in a freshwater tank is just not necessary and a waste of money.

I never run carbon in my tank unless its after medicating the tank for an illness. It's only good for about a week or two at the most.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Nothing really, i wanted to know the effects of it, apart the medication removal and the odor.Its a marina carbon cartridge.

So... What I'm reading is... Carbon is an un necessary part of a filter?
Because I have a marine land emperor 400. And it has 2 media slots for carbon filtration... But if Carbon isn't needed then I can just not buy carbon and save my $$
I'm glad someone Asked this question

So... What I'm reading is... Carbon is an un necessary part of a filter?
Because I have a marine land emperor 400. And it has 2 media slots for carbon filtration... But if Carbon isn't needed then I can just not buy carbon and save my $$
I'm glad someone Asked this question
After some research, it really depends if its activated carbon or not.

IMO carbon isn't needed and it doesn't last long at all and it's expensive. Again this is my opinion. I've used it ONLY to help remove medication after a water change. Left it in for a week or two and tossed it.

Last edited:
IMO carbon isn't needed and it doesn't last long at all and it's expensive. Again this is my opinion. I've used it ONLY to help remove medication after a water change. Left it in for a week or two and tossed it.

I agree with Convict.

+1 here...

i never run any type of carbon in my filters unless trying to remove medication.

Back
Top Bottom