Carbon filter advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Using carbon in the filter is controversial, but the filter should be there from the beginning. Also should a source of ammonia... Along with an api liquid test kit...

What do you mean by additive? The ammonia? It shouldn't affect that.

I don't use that stuff, so I'm not sure. I doubt you want to use it at all when doing a cycle, but others may want to chime in on that.

Water changes and proper stocking/feeding after cycling keep ammonia at safe levels on a cycled tank.

Ammonia is controlled by your BB. That you get when you cycle your tank or by pwc and good practices of other things feeding and stocking is a couple of them. Ph down is not needed and isn't used by any of us here that I know of. Most fish can adapt to different water ph. Things like ph down only work for so long so it will fluctuate witch is worse then just leaving it alone. If you really want a lower ph your better off using ro/di water or distilled bottled water.

Hmm interesting, I am up my tank for future discus inhabitants. I know they are somewhat sensitive to ph levels.
My tap water reads above 7.6 on the API ph tester. I need to figure out how to get it lower before PWC's.

Prediscus23 said:
Hmm interesting, I am up my tank for future discus inhabitants. I know they are somewhat sensitive to ph levels.
My tap water reads above 7.6 on the API ph tester. I need to figure out how to get it lower before PWC's.

I would lower it by doing pwc with distilled water or ro/Di water. Some lfs sell ro/Di water

Back
Top Bottom