Carbon inserts vs. Activated carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PreciousAri

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
M trying to come up with ways to save money on filter cartridges. I wanted to know if anyone out there knew which worked better; the sponge carbon inserts (which I've heard you never have to replace) or the activated rock-like carbon that comes with most premade filter cartridges. I've already got a pretty good idea of what to do, I just want to know which of the carbon is better.

Thanks!!

And please pardon my typos, AutoCorrect can be a nightmare sometimes.

I think they are pretty much the same, and either way you do need to replace carbon every now and then. I personally don't use carbon but ceramic rings instead. More area for the BB to grow and no replacing, just the odd rinse. Your filter will determine which you can use, a cheap filter tends to use the filter inserts with the carbon and foam in one unit, when you replace the insert you lose a huge amount of BB unless you run the new insert with the old one for a couple weeks. The higher end filters allow more media customization, aqua clear is what I run and you can customize, I used to have an emporer and it had a refillable carbon insert.

kdpuffer said:
I think they are pretty much the same, and either way you do need to replace carbon every now and then. I personally don't use carbon but ceramic rings instead. More area for the BB to grow and no replacing, just the odd rinse. Your filter will determine which you can use, a cheap filter tends to use the filter inserts with the carbon and foam in one unit, when you replace the insert you lose a huge amount of BB unless you run the new insert with the old one for a couple weeks. The higher end filters allow more media customization, aqua clear is what I run and you can customize, I used to have an emporer and it had a refillable carbon insert.

Can ceramic rings really replace carbon for chemical filtration. I thought bb and carbon did different things. Straighten me out here please.

Can ceramic rings really replace carbon for chemical filtration. I thought bb and carbon did different things. Straighten me out here please.

Nope, ceramic rings don't replace carbon for chemical filtration. They do provide a porous surface for biofiltration though. I don't run carbon and I don't know many people who do, chemical filtration isn't that important unless you are trying to remove something from the water column like meds.

IMO carbon does help with the fishy, earthy smell in tanks however it's not really necessary unless like jetajockey said you want to remove meds. :)

Tigroscr said:
IMO carbon does help with the fishy, earthy smell in tanks however it's not really necessary unless like jetajockey said you want to remove meds. :)

So the who chemical filtration thing is a non- issue

OasisKeeper said:
I love the smell of fish tanks in the morning.. smells like .. Victory!

Lol! Brings back memories for me when I was a kid and all the vacations and trips to the different lakes and fishing and swimming the easy life......... Oh! To be a kid again.........:)

Using Chemical (Carbon) Media

M trying to come up with ways to save money on filter cartridges. I wanted to know if anyone out there knew which worked better; the sponge carbon inserts (which I've heard you never have to replace) or the activated rock-like carbon that comes with most premade filter cartridges. I've already got a pretty good idea of what to do, I just want to know which of the carbon is better.

Thanks!!

Hello Precious...

I change a minimum of half the water in my tanks every week and don't use any carbon. Large and frequent water changes do more for your aquarium than carbon filtration.

So, just following the above WC routine and forget the carbon.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello Precious...

I change a minimum of half the water in my tanks every week and don't use any carbon. Large and frequent water changes do more for your aquarium than carbon filtration.

So, just following the above WC routine and forget the carbon.

B

This is such a new idea for me... Been keeping fish for 10yrs, which is long for a 23 yr old, and have never heard anyone say anything other than use carbon, and do small water changes. Guess I should have joined a forum long ago and save some stacks! I just have to figure out how to make alternative filtration work with my hang on filters. Don't have the cash to get canisters.

joejeff said:
This is such a new idea for me... Been keeping fish for 10yrs, which is long for a 23 yr old, and have never heard anyone say anything other than use carbon, and do small water changes. Guess I should have joined a forum long ago and save some stacks! I just have to figure out how to make alternative filtration work with my hang on filters. Don't have the cash to get canisters.

Have you ever considered buying the cut to fit filter padding? You can find it at most LFS stores. It's a very economical way to go, it comes in a big bag and you just take your old media and use that to size it and then put it in with your old media ( I use large cable ties to hold it together) and that way you can seed it with your old media. Then after a month or so either throw your old media away or keep it! :)

Tigroscr said:
Have you ever considered buying the cut to fit filter padding? You can find it at most LFS stores. It's a very economical way to go, it comes in a big bag and you just take your old media and use that to size it and then put it in with your old media ( I use large cable ties to hold it together) and that way you can seed it with your old media. Then after a month or so either throw your old media away or keep it! :)

Btw I do this and that's all I have is HOB filters I prefer those over canisters because I like the calming trickle effect of the HOB's helps me to sleep! :)

Tigroscr said:
Btw I do this and that's all I have is HOB filters I prefer those over cantisters because I like the calming trickle effect of the HOB's helps me to sleep! :)

I will have to try that tig. I agree about the effect. I moved my 75 gallon tank out of my room and into my living room, due to my roommates loving watching my cichlids behavior, and had trouble sleeping after that. I just got a 29 gallon and its in my room so I am sleeping rt again. So the removal of carbon from the mix won't mess with clarity? I am all for not buying cart for the hob anymore. My hob's have two carts in each one, so I have been rotating replacing them to keep my bb.

joejeff said:
I will have to try that tig. I agree about the effect. I moved my 75 gallon tank out of my room and into my living room, due to my roommates loving watching my cichlids behavior, and had trouble sleeping after that. I just got a 29 gallon and its in my room so I am sleeping rt again. So the removal of carbon from the mix won't mess with clarity? I am all for not buying cart for the hob anymore. My hob's have two carts in each one, so I have been rotating replacing them to keep my bb.

This is what I use keeps my water crystal clear http://www.drsfostersmith.com/1/1/8607-blue-bonded-filter-pads.html I but it in bulk also and cut to fit ( it's a lot cheaper that way) then every other week I rinse it in a big bucket of tank water when I do my pwc. I use it over and over to keep the BB until it's practically falling apart which takes a while then just take new and with large cable ties bind it to old and wait a month or so to build up BB and then throw old away!! This works better than carbon IMO. :)

Tigroscr said:
This is what I use keeps my water crystal clear http://www.drsfostersmith.com/1/1/8607-blue-bonded-filter-pads.html I but it in bulk also and cut to fit ( it's a lot cheaper that way) then every other week I rinse it in a big bucket of tank water when I do my pwc. I use it over and over to keep the BB until it's practically falling apart which takes a while then just take new and with large cable ties bind it to old and wait a month or so to build up BB and then throw old away!! This works better than carbon IMO. :)

Thanks for the tip. I just bought an 8 pack of filters too... Dangit... Guess I will cycle through those first... Which will take a long long time. Maybe I will use both till they run out. Anyway. Thank you so much tig. I feel soo Dang dumb now...

joejeff said:
Thanks for the tip. I just bought an 8 pack of filters too... Dangit... Guess I will cycle through those first... Which will take a long long time. Maybe I will use both till they run out. Anyway. Thank you so much tig. I feel soo Dang dumb now...

So the uncut are the best bang for buck I guess. So how did you say you framed them up?

joejeff said:
So the uncut are the best bang for buck I guess. So how did you say you framed them up?

I just frame it up using the old filters ( like the ones you bought) and cut with scissors and Voila!! Yeah it's much more expensive to do it the way you are!! I have to get more bang for my buck considering I have so many tanks! + I like it this way better, I think it keeps the water much clearer!! :)

I don't use carbon at all these days, there's no need for it unless you want to remove medication or if there's a constant threat of chemicals polluting your tank, but if that was the case then it's not a good idea to keep fish at that location in the first place anyway.

NoMoreGoldFish said:
I don't use carbon at all these days, there's no need for it unless you want to remove medication or if there's a constant threat of chemicals polluting your tank, but if that was the case then it's not a good idea to keep fish at that location in the first place anyway.

Speaking of chemicals. I Nvr use a dechlorinator. I just let water sit out. That should be fine rt?

Back
Top Bottom