cardinal tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmagregory

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon tank with 1 Molly, 1 swordtail 2 Guppies 3 neon tetras a Dwarf Gourmis and a Peral Gourmis. Can i put Cardinal tetras in and if so would ten be a good quantity ? PH is 7.4

IMO the Gh of the water is more important then pH.
Especially for cards.
All your other fish prefer harder water(higher GH) then cards .
The cards also prefer higher temps then your live bearer collection.
If the neons are doing well for you then again IMO you should increase their numbers .
I would say 10 more neons should be fine.

I have learned the hard way that cardinal tetras like water more in the discus temperature range. I lost a bunch to ich lately. I don't know for sure that it was due to too cool temps, but everything else in the tank was perfect, so I'd say check into the needs of cards before you go that route.

I will say that you can successfully do cardinals in a community tank but it can be a PITA. I currently keep mine in less than ideal water conditions (ph from tap is 8.2, and gh is over 400 ppm) I do keep my temp on the high side around 82 F for a lot of my fish but everyone seems to be doing well.

Cardinals like to get ick and they like to get it bad, I've had a few times that they were the only thing is my 75 gallon to get it and I lost a few to it. Besides that though they seem to be used to the water and doing alright though I feel like their growth is very stunted and I'll most likely be going the RO/DI route soon.

I keep my cardinals at 79F. They share the tank with discus, ember tetras, rummy noses, rams and angel(s).

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Cardinals were the last tetras to be added to a varied range of other tetras. I have had terrible trouble in the past with them but now I've learnt a lot more about the chemistry of water and stability I've introduced 15 cardinals and they are thriving.
Temp 26c/79f
Ph 7.0
Gh 6
Kh 6
I quarantine all my new fish but I gave the cardinals 6 weeks in the QT to settle and fatten up.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438809947.739529.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I really have had no issues with cardinals in my tank. They are very hardy in my experience, more so then neons at least. I have a Ph of 7.5 with moderate hardness and they seem very healthy.

Back
Top Bottom