Caring for Live Rock Question ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EL Diablo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently received a shipment of LR from LR.com

The shipment came with care instructions for the LR

It said they advise to care for the rock as they do and listed they add calcium every other day.

Do I need to do anything special besides the normal water care
to keep the LR alive and healthy :?:

My Tank is FOWLR

Thanks

Adding essential elements is prolly a good idea, but otherwise not much maintenance with LR.

Thats the beauty of it, the ultimate filtration system that requires practically no maintenance.

unless you test for Ca then I wouldn't add any. The Ca would help with corraline growth, just make sure levels are balanced, and only add anything if your test results show that levels are low.
lr shouldn't require additional care. If it is the only thing in the tank, I would add a small amount of food 1-2 times a week to keep hitchhikers alive

Just a quick question (slight hijack of the thread!) does the coralline algae have any intrinsic value (apart from aesthetic)? Does it out compete algae/cyano/diatoms or is it really only promoted because it looks pretty?
Thanks - Jon

Coralline will outcompete many microalgaes.

You do want to turkey baste the rock often to blow off all of the detritus. That is a very important part of maintenance for LR.

Back
Top Bottom