Caulerpa invading zoos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was away at sea for 10 days, came back to Caulerpa everywhere (the stuff grew 6-8" in that time!) One of the pieces grew over a rock covered with zoos. I carefully picked off the Caulerpa but there are some "root" bits and small growing pieces still left that I cannot get off, and I don't want to annoy the zoos to much by picking away. Will this bother the zoos?

Yes you can take the rock out of the water...I would suggest wearing gloves when handling the zoas though....

I had an extremely bad case of caulerpa. It was literally everywhere, and intertwined with some of my coral. I tried everything, even tweezers to pluck it from crevices, however it would just come right back. I had always wanted some tangs, so I bought a Naso and Yellow Tang for my 120 gallon. They made short work of the caulerpa that is visible, and they also keep the LR impeccably clean. Now, they love to pick at the LR, and eat regular food as well. Just a thought for you.

Right now I would LOVE to have a tang to take care of some of the algae problems I am having, but it's only a 30 gallon, so that is wishful thinking!

What fish do you already have in your tank? If you can and you are having major algae issues, you can think about something like a blenny in your tank to help you out.

I have the same problem. I can't get all of it out either. I tried tweezers. It doesn't work. It just breaks the strand. Then I have more tiny pieces I have to pick off. It has completely overrun an entire zoa rock. The strands are growin in thinner which makes it even harder to pull off.

Back
Top Bottom