Celestial Pearl Danios / CPD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Theresa, what other fish do you have or background on the tank, just a pic please and any info.

Fresh about the Furcata were they sparing with the CPD or just each other?

When I asked at one lfs if they had them...they said "what is that?" lol

Tanks and stock have changed since this photo was taken but I had a lot of CPDs with a trio of cherry barbs and two sparkling gouramis. Water temp just under 78° and pH is 7.5

It was actually seeing CPDs in a book that got me back into the hobby!

img_3259115_0_48e9a4ce11ba1a464f2a69e24ae9946c.jpg

Where did you order from? I found the CPDs I bought online were much hardier than those I got at the lfs.
I ordered them from bobstropicalplants . I had previously ordered some nerite snails, and some plants from there. Everything was good, so decided to try the CPD's from there as well. They shipped today, so i will know pretty soon.

I have CPDs in my 20 gallon. they are not in the least shy. They swim with the harlequin rasboras in the middle of the tank and never hide. when they see me they come swimming over looking for food. Just give them some time and a heavily planted tank, and I think you will see a lot more of them. I asked my lfs to get them for me, and they did. Not so hard if they are willing.

My CPDs share a 20 long with some ember tetras, golden tetras, otos, and Amano shrimp. Heavily planted, medium to medium high lighting, PPS Pro ferts, pressurized CO2, AC50 hob filter. Temp is at their upper range I believe (78-79 F). Fed daily except when I'm on vacation. They hide most of the time and are the last to emerge at feeding time. I think I have 3 or 4 males in the tank; 7 more CPDs in QT. Purchased from a LFS for $6.99 (though I get a discount for donating plants). As mentioned previously, they can be difficult to get close up photos. I cannot say if I've seen any courtship behavior. At best I see quarreling males.
2CCSVi4.png

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the compliments. Honestly, at times I would rather have a less decorated tank where I can actually see the fish. This goal of this tank was growing plants. I can hack everything back to half tank height and within 2 weeks it will look like this again. Great for plants but perhaps not so much for fish (as proven with late furcata rainbows earlier this year). Fluctuating pH, high CO2, lots of ferts and light.
I also have a 20 long planted low tech shrimp tank. I'm wondering if this is a more suitable home for the CPDs. I've got RCS in there (no Sakura or FPR). No ferts (substrate pellets are provided every few months), no CO2, lots of crypts, moss, and RCS. Tons of MTS. Duckweed present to provide some shade. If I do add CPDs I assume they will be eating the shrimp fry. But enough to put a dent in the population?
Autumnsky - you have CPDs with RCS and CRS don't you? All doing well? If I do add the new CPDs to the shrimp tank, I will move the ones from the planted tank as well.
Anyone's input on this is most welcome. Here is a pic of the shrimp tank from a few months back:
SHiizVm.png

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Hello, I saw this thread a few days ago and started following along. Just yesterday, I bought a small group of 6 CPD at my LFS. This is my first time having them and I'm very excited. At the LFS, they were hiding and bunch up in a corner in a RCS tank. My tank finished cycling a few days ago and is planted. I add some cover plants for them to hide but instead 3 of them enjoy hiding in the back of the tank. While the other 3 are in a group not hiding. Last night, I had also feed them frozen brine shrimp. Since they were shy and hiding there was not much interest in the brine shrimp. This morning, they are much more active and 4 CPD are interacting and swimming together. One CPD is still hiding and there is one missing but I believe he is hiding too. Some of the CPD are starting to swim in front of the tank too. But hide in the back when im near by the tank. I want to add a few more and plan on adding some RCS.

Attachments

• 1438718144165.jpg
    1438718144165.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 68
  • 1438718232116.jpg
    1438718232116.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 1438718858001.jpg
    1438718858001.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 68
Pretty tank Cass95.

Fresh yes, did have them with the Blue Velvet shrimp for ~6 or more months.

Probably during that time went from a lively BV population to a modest population, and as the CPD aged and matured, almost no babies in the tank, I mean with a population of maybe 80 down to 40.

Then with the huge dead killer snail situation (giant MS died), lost more BV and most of the CPD didn't notice right away because them hiding and some other things going on. The many mts, RH and other snails cleaned up the remains and never actually saw the fish bodies.

These guys aren't shrimp safe in my opinion, that's for sure.
From reading about others experiences, I understand that they will "pack hunt" prey. Anyone see this in their fish or urban fish legend, lol?

Last edited:
Hello! I JUST got a trio of CPDs yesterday and I am wondering how to feed them, and when? I added crushed betta pellets in the tank, I also have freeze dried blood worms on hand, but suspect I should go out and buy something else. (I am still a novice fish keeper). Will they take a little longer to be comfortable enough to eat? How can I keep my female baby betta from gobbling everything up!? And what food should I get? If they hang out in the back, should I drop the food down in the back? I feel a little lost. Thanks! (btw, I am going to try to bred them, hence the trio)

Thanks!

They do best in larger groups and may be shy, mine hid all the time and as soon as they thought I wasn't looking they would come out and be very fun loving until I turned the light on or walked over to see them - hid!!! They are really one of the most beautiful tiny fish there is imho. They like there to be lots of moss, or leafy plants and even floating plants on top of the water will help them feel comfortable.

I fed them Hikari micro wafers as the staple and lots of other foods like pellets crushed because they have small mouths. They do like to eat shrimplets and are little hunters for micro foods. I would suggest frozen but then defrosted for feeding, Baby Brine shrimp. The Betta will love them too. They would eat live foods. Mine did.

They do best in larger groups and may be shy, mine hid all the time and as soon as they thought I wasn't looking they would come out and be very fun loving until I turned the light on or walked over to see them - hid!!! They are really one of the most beautiful tiny fish there is imho. They like there to be lots of moss, or leafy plants and even floating plants on top of the water will help them feel comfortable.

I fed them Hikari micro wafers as the staple and lots of other foods like pellets crushed because they have small mouths. They do like to eat shrimplets and are little hunters for micro foods. I would suggest frozen but then defrosted for feeding, Baby Brine shrimp. The Betta will love them too. They would eat live foods. Mine did.

Thanks! We got a pretty brave bunch I think. I got a lot of fake plant coverage for now, while I hope the Java fern begins to grow... and as I can afford it, I'll keep adding more live plants. They do come out even when we are looking in or my daughter slides her finger across the glass. Of course, they are much more timid than the betta! Is it normal for new fish to not have an appetite yet? I soaked the freeze-dried blood worms and put them near them with a dropper and they weren't interested... don't know if they are being picky eaters or just not hungry yet. I know they are completely different creatures, but my gerbils won't accept food until they are comfortable and at ease. So I wasn't sure if that is applicable to other little friends! :) BTW, I just noticed a whiteish discoloration on one (see pic) and I'm not sure if it was there before. When my daughter wakes up I will ask her if she saw it before. Any ideas what that could be?

Attachments

• male fish.jpeg
    male fish.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 31

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom