Center piece fish for 75 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ole scratch

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm slowly rebuilding my 75 g into a south American/central American tank. I've got 8 microglannis iheringi, 2 raninus, am going to add 3 angels, 10 or so neons/cardinals, 10 or so serpae, and 10 or so other undetermined schooling tetras. I can't decide on a center piece fish. It must be in the 6-8 inch size and get along with all the other fish. I won't do a firemouth. Pretty but unsuitable disposition. Bioload is not too concerning considering the 990 gph filtration, and that I'm rebuilding a fluval 405 that will do bio only. At that point I'll be hitting an estimated 1330 gph of filtration, with all other filters doing some bio and the committed fluval bio. Then there's the aqueon 900 power head to cut down any dead space. If there is any deadspace. Yes I know. I had better feed the raninus well so I don't lose any of the tetras. But they may go into another tank any ways. Appreciate any suggestions for a nice center piece fish.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With the amount of filtration I have now, I have to top off ever Sat morning and then do my water change that evening. Seems like I didn't have any where near the evap I have now than when I ran just 1 hob and the 405 cannister. Now I'm running 1 internal and 2 hob's. Blessed things do a good job but boy are they heck on the amount of evap. I'm going to do serious mods on the 405 for maximum bio surface. What do ya'll suggest as the best bio material. Filter sponges are coming out of the side slot and going to be used only to prevent gunk from being sucked into the impellar. Will be placed right b4 the water goes into the impellar. Or at least the plan.

Maybe a festivum? You'd want to keep an eye on any of the smaller tetras though.

G. Parnaibae are some good looking fish. Only problem is I live in BFE. Actually the BFE of BFE. So a fish of this caliber is going to be a hunt and a half to get here. All suggestions will be considered. I want to build the best natural bio type aquarium that I can. I've though about putting some rams in there, but let's face it. They go too deep and would be nothing more than a snack for the jelly bumblebees. It is what it is. I want to make it as believable as possible, but don't want my little fish to be murdered by my big fish.

The festivum looks nice but I'm trying to stay with a fish that is less likely to eat the cardinals/neons. That's why I said no to the firemouths. Good looking fish, neon vacuum.

Rams are about your only option. Bigger fish will eat what fits in their mouths.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And the raninus will be about eating the rams. I'll be about figuring it out. May just be about the angels being the center piece.

Back
Top Bottom