Centerpiece Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QueenKiara

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20G long with 5 guppies and 4 cory catfish. When I'm done stocking it, it will have 5 guppies, 8 cories, and 7 cardinal tetras. It is planted, and I was wondering if I had room, or if there was a solo fish that would get along with all of mine that I could have as a centerpiece fish, a bit bigger than the rest, like 3 inches or so? Are there any suggestions?

A single honey gourami, dwarf gourami, German blue ram, Bolivian ram or apisto would work, although you are very close to stocked as it is, especially if those guppies start breeding.

I love those! Especially the German Blue Ram and Apisto! All of the guppies are male, so they won't reproduce. Is it okay for me to put one of those in there? I don't want to overstock.

I'd say it is overstocking your tank but it should be fine as long as you stay on top of your PWCs. GBRs are pretty finicky with new tanks though so it's recommended to make sure your tank is at least 3-4 months mature. They also are sensitive to nitrates so live plants are recommended (but not required) as well.

What kind of cories do you have?

I'm going to wait a while, for sure. :) I'll have 4 albino cories and 4 Julii cories. And I'm doing 25% water changes every week. Is that enough?

I also have two filters in it, a Marineland Penguin 150G and an Aquaclear 50.

I'd aim for 40%-50% PWCs per week. If I were in your shoes I might do like 5-6 cories of all the same type and call it a day with bottom dwellers. Just a suggestion though! I'm sure your tank will be great! :) Good job on the filtration too! I have almost the same on my 20g!

I wish I could, but I had already bought one albino and one Julii when I figured out they were schooling fish. The people at the pet store said they didn't care if they had friends, but the ones I have now love each other! I want to finish their schools, so that they have some more friends. :)
I'll do bigger water changes, and I think I've decided I want a male Dwarf Gourami.

And I do have live plants! I have anacharis, green Cryptocoryne, and java fern.

Very good! DGs are very pretty, just keep an eye on it when you first get it 'cause sometimes they can be bullies. Honey gouramis are my preferred type as they get very bright once they color up (notice my avatar pic) and are extremely peaceful. But can't go wrong with either!

I was looking into it, then I realized my LFS doesn't carry it. The only one they carry is the DG. :)

Maybe an idea would be to up the one school of cories to 6, skip the second school and then add your centerpiece fish. i think a dwarf gourami or boliviam ram would be good.
Youd still have a nice group of cories, but have a little wiggle room to add the centerpiece fish :)

I've decided my new stock will be:

5 Fancy Male Guppies
6 Cardinal Tetras
4 Julii Cory Catfish
2 Albino Cory Catfish
1 Honey Gourami

The two albinos I have now don't care at all if they have new friends, they're thriving on their own. :) My Juliis absolute love each other, though, they would adore having new friends. And I'll drop the number of Cardinals by one to make room for the Gourami. I'll have to search for a place to get one, but I think it'll be worth it.
Does this work as a plan? Am I still overstocking?

Back
Top Bottom