CF bulb type

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smittyjr18

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm ordering a 2 55 watt kit from AH and i need to know what type of bulbs to get from them? This is a fresh water plant tank. What k level should i get?

Most bulbs in the 5,000 - 10,000K range work very well for plants. You do not want 03's.

I am running 4 x 65 10,000K on my 75 gallon and the color is just fine.

A lot of people like 6700K as well.

AH Supply did have some 7800K bulbs that are perfect. They are not too yellow and not too blue. I like them better than the 6700K bulbs, which can look really yellow at times. 10000K is nice too, but can be too white. I like to mix 6700K and 10000K when those are the only ones I can find, but if its for a side by side fixture (like for a 55g), then you might want to choose 2 of the same colors.

Depending on what kind of fixture you have, Current USA makes Dual Daylight CF bulbs that are ideal. Half the bulb is 6700K and the other half is 10000K which covers the light spectrum for plants and blends the color so its not skewed to one end.

I don't think they have 55W though, they have 65W which is what I use on my 55 gallon.

http://www.current-usa.com/sunpaq.html

Back
Top Bottom