Change of plans!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nessaathena0822

Aquarium Advice Activist
I posted a while ago that I wanted to start a female betta tank with a bunch of tankmates, but I’ve switched gears! I’m thinking of having a community tank still, but I want to start a shrimp tank!

I have a 20 long tank. I have a finnex stingray light and two Aqueon quietflow10 internal filters, which I am willing to trade for a sponge filter if it is better for the tank.

I also have some sort of plant? I’m not sure what it is, my parents got it as a gift for my Betta but he passed away so I have an empty tank now with this kind of dying plant.

Never had any luck with plants, and I want a good way of keeping them without having to dose CO2

I wanted to know what goes into the process of a shrimp tank. I really want dream blue velvets, sky blue velvets, and possibly blue diamonds. I’m totally open to different colors of shrimp as well, because I’m not trying to breed them (although I know it will happen, I don’t care about what colors the fry turn out). I also love neon yellow and orange Sakura shrimp. Would love to have a rainbow in my tank if possible.

I’m planning on using RODI water since I already have a saltwater tank and use it for that. I just want to know what supplement is best for them and also easiest for me.

I definitely want otocinclus to clean my tank. I also just love ‘em! I was thinking about going with some neon tetras as well as possibly one other fish, but that’s up for debate as I’ve never had a freshwater community tank.

I just want to know:

How many shrimp/ what kinds should I get as well as the dream blue velvets?

What kind of water supplement for RODI water?

I have some fluval plant and shrimp stratum, which I plan to use, unless a better substrate is preferred?

What other fish can I add besides otos?

How do I keep my plants alive?

Should I change my filter to a sponge?

Any other general information would be greatly appreciated!! Sorry my posts are always so long!

I know some shrimp are more difficult - I’ve just kept native shrimp in same setup as betta tank but added more plants.

I know some shrimp are more difficult - I’ve just kept native shrimp in same setup as betta tank but added more plants.

I’ve read that the ones I want are basically other morphs of cherries, so it shouldn’t be too difficult, but I still want to have the best setup possible for them. I really just want a simple tank with shrimp as the main attraction!

How do I keep my plants alive?

You keep plants alive by providing the 4 things they need to survive and grow: light, carbon, micro and macro nutrients. in rate and ratio required by particular plant. Depending on plants you choose to have the latter 3 can be fulfilled by products of fish metabolism. ie Anubias will not need anything extra (but can benefit if you choose to add). It gets more complicated from there.

One note, I wouldn't add ottos untill few month after you start tank.

You keep plants alive by providing the 4 things they need to survive and grow: light, carbon, micro and macro nutrients. in rate and ratio required by particular plant. Depending on plants you choose to have the latter 3 can be fulfilled by products of fish metabolism. ie Anubias will not need anything extra (but can benefit if you choose to add). It gets more complicated from there.

One note, I wouldn't add ottos untill few month after you start tank.

I was going to let the tank cycle for at least a month or two before I did anything.

Do you mean after I’ve added the shrimp and other fish? I’m gravitating towards neon tetras because they’re so small and have great color.

Would my finnex stingray be okay for some medium light plants? Or is it too strong or weak for my 20L? Id love some anubias and possibly a carpeting plants. I’m open to getting a different light as well.

Otos go in well after cycling is complete and this can be done either before or after the other inhabitants are being introduced. The goal is to have a good deal of biofilm established in the tank.
The Stingray is in the low light range. The tank is shallow so that helps. This could work with some of the easier stem plants. Carpet probably not. I would look at one of the Beamswork models or possibly the Finnex 24/7 (there are 3 generations of these). The latter is dimmable so you can adjust it to your plants’ needs.

Otos go in well after cycling is complete and this can be done either before or after the other inhabitants are being introduced. The goal is to have a good deal of biofilm established in the tank.
The Stingray is in the low light range. The tank is shallow so that helps. This could work with some of the easier stem plants. Carpet probably not. I would look at one of the Beamswork models or possibly the Finnex 24/7 (there are 3 generations of these). The latter is dimmable so you can adjust it to your plants’ needs.

Okay that sounds great, I’ll work on getting a new light.
Now, if I dose with mosura (starting with RO water), I can still have fish, right?

Back
Top Bottom