Changing Filter Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenhat06

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, so I know it's not good to change the filter pad because you'll be throwing away the beneficial bacteria; however, my current filter pad has been in there about 6 months now and even when I do a partial water change, swish the filter pad around in the old water to "cleanse" it a bit, it still seems to be defunct. What I mean by this is that there is water overflow coming out next to my filter's "water stream." From what I know, this means that either you have to clean the filter or it's time for a new one. I just purchased a 6 pack of filter pads so I'm interested in changing it. What is the best way to go about this to keep as much of the good bacteria as possible? I know you can try to squeeze the new one in facing the old one and let the BB "transfer", but this makes the water overflow as well (until I take the old one out). I could also do a little water change and just let the filter pad "float" in the that water for a few days? Just want you're advice, thanks!

I know it's not a good idea to change it but you can do it. Just put the two in if you can. Or if you have another filter to run it in the second filter for a few days.

I change the filter pad about twince a year and I've never had any problems. I always leave some of the dirty stuff in the filter container so it can attach to the new pad and start growing more bacteria. Just don't change the pad the same time you change any other filter media.

Back
Top Bottom