Changing Filter Pads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bpblick12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone,

I just started putting together my first saltwater tank about mid december. The tank has finally cycled and the test readings finally look great. I had a questions about my filter (emperor 480). I was told by someone never to change the filter pads inside the filter because of the beneficial bacteria, i thought that was what the 2 bio wheels were for? Anyway i have had the pads in there for aout 5 weeks. Is it safe to change out the pads? Should i just take the pads out and risne the off? or is it ok just to leave them alone

If the pads are dirty you can rinse them off in tank water (the water you remove from the tank during a water change). The pads will have bacteria in them and rinsing with fresh water will kill it.

Thanks for the info! I guess i heard just to replace them when the blue pad starts to tear off or fall apart

Once your tank has cycled, you could probably do that too. I change out the pads in my sump whenever they get dirty and I have never had a problem.

Thanks for the info! I guess i heard just to replace them when the blue pad starts to tear off or fall apart

Yepp, rinse until it falls apart. Once it falls apart use it to seed the new pad by putting it in the filter right before the new media.

Hey everyone,

I just started putting together my first saltwater tank about mid december. The tank has finally cycled and the test readings finally look great. I had a questions about my filter (emperor 480). I was told by someone never to change the filter pads inside the filter because of the beneficial bacteria, i thought that was what the 2 bio wheels were for? Anyway i have had the pads in there for aout 5 weeks. Is it safe to change out the pads? Should i just take the pads out and risne the off? or is it ok just to leave them alone

In saltwater your beneficial bacteria will be mainly on your lr and sand, many of people in this hobby don't even use a filter pads.. Filter pads are just to pick up large particles from the water column but that is why you do water changes for anyways.

Back
Top Bottom