Changing filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do you really need to change filter every 2 weeks?! (forgive me if I asked this before)

The filter I run has 2 bio wheels and runs 4 filters. I'm only using 4 filters but still... That's A LOT of money if I'm changing filters every 2 weeks. Also, I thought it was good to keep the filter in longer?

Ok so let's say I'm doing a water change. I filled the bucket up. I can just take the filters out and rinse them in the bucket with the old tank water? Put them back an continue with the change? That's way better then buying boxes of filters every 2 weeks.

I'm just going by what the manufacture is recommending.

Ok so let's say I'm doing a water change. I filled the bucket up. I can just take the filters out and rinse them in the bucket with the old tank water? Put them back an continue with the change? That's way better then buying boxes of filters every 2 weeks.

I'm just going by what the manufacture is recommending.

Yep, that's exactly what you want to do. The manufacture recommends it to keep you coming back and spending money. As far as your biological filtration goes, its actually pretty counterproductive.

Yes. Or, make your own for 5 cents a piece..what who said that? Haha ya its easy. Take your filter frame and simply wrap it in the cotten fiber (i forget the name) then hot glue it down. Then fill with 2 tsps of carbon. Theres a you tube vid of it

I've had the same pads in my canister filer for about 5 years now! One is just getting to the stage of needing replacing. I bought a large sheet of filter media that will replace all the filters about 4 times for half the price of one Pre-cut filter pad. Just cut it to fit.

Wow! And here I was gonna go running to the LFS thinking I had to replace all my filters. I was like this is gonna be expensive! Every 2 weeks?! Crazy!

Thanks for the info! Saving some money=a happy guy! :)

davePM said:
I've had the same pads in my canister filer for about 5 years now! One is just getting to the stage of needing replacing. I bought a large sheet of filter media that will replace all the filters about 4 times for half the price of one Pre-cut filter pad. Just cut it to fit.

You dont even use carbon? Just stick the sheet in the slot?

Gboy66 said:

I've never used carbon! Just cut the media to fit whatever filter you have!

A lot of people with live plants don't like to use carbon (me included :p ) because it sucks out all the ferts and stuff they add.

Oh darnnit i use ferts!! So just take the stuff and double it up and stick it in?

what kind of stuff should i buy for a filter? Like what kind of filter pad? Quilt padding with no carbon?

Doesnt carbon help purify the water though??

Carbon does help clean up the water a little, but its affects are really only seen for a couple weeks(depending on the water volume and amount of carbon). In my opinion, carbon's best use is removing medications from the water column, or used after the water column has been contaminated by a foreign substance.

Sponges, foam, and filter floss(aka...craft polyfil) are what I use in my filters.

black hills tj said:
Carbon does help clean up the water a little, but its affects are really only seen for a couple weeks(depending on the water volume and amount of carbon). In my opinion, carbon's best use is removing medications from the water column, or used after the water column has been contaminated by a foreign substance.

Sponges, foam, and filter floss(aka...craft polyfil) are what I use in my filters.

So its not nrcessary at all? Do i have to glue the quilt bedding to where it would be on the cartridge, or can i just double it up and put that in

So its not nrcessary at all? Do i have to glue the quilt bedding to where it would be on the cartridge, or can i just double it up and put that in

Its not going to hurt anything, but if you ask me its not worth the extra cash to continuously replace it.

I use filter media bags when I throw polyfil in my filters. They are like a buck for a few at PetSmart

black hills tj said:
Its not going to hurt anything, but if you ask me its not worth the extra cash to continuously replace it.

I use filter media bags when I throw polyfil in my filters. They are like a buck for a few at PetSmart

So i can just double up the poly and put it in?

So you really don't need those expensive marineland carbon filled filter replacements then? Would save a ton of money! My filter has slots for 4 filters. Guess they just want you to keep buying.

Love how it says "make sure to replace every 2 weeks" seems crazy.

Back
Top Bottom