Changing Filter...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WRLeGrand

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my 13 gallon aquarium since August. I have not replaced the filter, but need to now. Advice please!

You only need to replace the cartridge if the old one is literally falling apart. Aside from that theres really no need.

You only need to replace the cartridge if the old one is literally falling apart. Aside from that theres really no need.

Even tho it's brown and smells??? I was gonna post a topic about this because I just did my water change and look at my filter and it was brown like I've never seen it before.

Even tho it's brown and smells??? I was gonna post a topic about this because I just did my water change and look at my filter and it was brown like I've never seen it before.

Yep. Just rinse it out in old tank water when it gets gross. This should be done once a month or so.

Bottom line, you want your filter sponge/pad to always look dirty... not clogged with stuff, just looking brownish, this is where the good bacteria lives.

Back
Top Bottom