Changing from american to african- what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karena

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I have a 85g tank currently housing 6 red devils, I want to switch to Africans (blue dolphin, electric yellow, acei). I know I need to increase pH - my plan is to remove the red devils, keep the water and filters running as is, remove the gravel and replace with pool filter sand and about 5kg coral sand/calcium carb & maybe add a bag of calc-carb into canister filter. Does this sound ok? Or should I empty the tank and start again? Will I need more coral sand to increase pH?

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I have a 85g tank currently housing 6 red devils, I want to switch to Africans (blue dolphin, electric yellow, acei). I know I need to increase pH - my plan is to remove the red devils, keep the water and filters running as is, remove the gravel and replace with pool filter sand and about 5kg coral sand/calcium carb & maybe add a bag of calc-carb into canister filter. Does this sound ok? Or should I empty the tank and start again? Will I need more coral sand to increase pH?

No you won't need to start over, but it does take a little while for the coral sand to increase the pH and keep it high.
So before you start adding the Africans you can add some Alkaline Buffer. There are Lake specific buffers made by Seachem. One is Malawi/Victoria Buffer it maintains a pH of 7.8-8.4. The other is Tanganyika Buffer that maintains a pH of 9.0-9.4.
Depending on which Africans you choose, it will keep the proper pH while you wait for your sand to catch up.
It's very easy to use and it's by far much safer than pH up or pH down.

Back
Top Bottom