changing my substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slroo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone ever changed their substrate from gravel to sand AFTER the tank was established and the fish were all fat and happy in their home? I've decided I really hate the look of my gravel and would like to use pool filter sand instead. Can I just remove the fish and gravel and pour in the sand, or would I have to drain the tank and start all over? Not sure if the sand would settle to the bottom or create a huge cloudy mess....

slroo said:
Can I just remove the fish and gravel and pour in the sand, or would I have to drain the tank and start all over? Not sure if the sand would settle to the bottom or create a huge cloudy mess....

Yes you can just remove the fish and gravel and pour in the sand. Even though the article says, "just half it" at a time. Remember, that when we are getting a new tank, the way to cycle it immediately is put the filter on an old tank for a few weeks. This would be the same concept. As long as you keep the same decorations, dont clean filter, etc, you should be fine to change out the substrate.

No, it will not make a cloudy mess. Make sure to rinse it very well first off, then when you put it in it should settle within 5 mins (I would turn my filter off when you do this though).

HTH,
Andy

Back
Top Bottom