Changing sand to gravel with fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Damojoker13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there, I've just set up my new tank with black sand and was wondering is there a way to change back to gravel with out having to move my fish again?
More info:
I've just moved from a 66ltr tank to a 180ltr tank brought the wrong gravel from eBay 0.3mm think and my fish don't seem to like it, they won't feed and not even my pleco will go near his algae wafer that he's been having since I got him 5 months ago. I lost all my neons when they went into the new tank I think that was just the stress of moving thought and I made sure the tank was fully cycled before moving all the fish but since the move none of the fish are feeding and the only thing I can think of is the sand.
Please help I don't want to loose any more fish.

I wouldn't think substrate is causing fish not to eat, especially if it's sand. Most fish do very well in sand particularly bottom feeders like plecos. I suspect something else is going on. How long ago did you move them? They could be just stressed and need time to settle in. Also have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? High levels of ammonia or nitrite would stress fish and could cause them not to eat. Also FYI the Common pleco is going to get huge and will outgrow your tank; it's also generally a bad idea to mix gourami so at some point one is likely going to kill the other.

Hi there thanks for getting back. The fish have been in the tank 4 days and all tests are ok apart from my ph which is 6.4 but it's always been like that and they all seem to do well in it so I don't want to mess about with. You were saying about my fish might kill each other they are both females and have been together since day one and always stay together but I think I might have to look into that at a later date. I'm looking at getting a 350 ltr tank as soon as I can get the money but at the moment the pleco is only about 15cm long so I still have abit of time

If it's only been a few days I'd wait and see what happens. They're probably getting used to their surroundings. If you want to move from sand to gravel because you prefer it you can, but if it's just for the fish I would think they are fine in sand (I'm sure the pleco would prefer sand to gravel) and I wouldn't think it would be causing their behavior issues. I think they're just stressed from the move and need more time to settle in.

GOOD NEWS: they have started eating again but have to wait to see if Mr. plec is going to feed. thank you for all of your help i am glad there is some where to go if you need real help or just to talk about fish. THANK YOU

Back
Top Bottom