Changing water - simple

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishstick18

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is there a fast way to change water without ruining my sand substrate from pouring?

Besides using a pitcher to pour slowly, are there any innovative ways to add the most water in the least ammount of time without creating (too much) flow?

Elbows,sponges even soda bottles can be used to diffuse flow changing water...
Even something as simple as flow control when using faucet/pump...

My high tech solution is my left hand:brows:
I use a 1g pitcher to draw water out of a larger vessel and then hold my left hand (palm up) at the water surface and pour onto it. No fuss no muss!

I've been using this thing called a pump shelf. Got it eons ago. As the name implies, it's a shelf with hooks and it hangs onto the rim of a tank. The shelf can hold an air pump. Before pouring water, I hang the shelf on the inside of the tank and pour away. The water splashes sideways and not directly towards the substrate.
Another thing you can try is taking one of the hang on specimen tanks (like the ones are the fish store) and drill a bunch of holes in it. Depending on the number of holes and the size of the holes, it can result in a gentle spray head for the incoming water.

Is there a fast way to change water without ruining my sand substrate from pouring?

Besides using a pitcher to pour slowly, are there any innovative ways to add the most water in the least ammount of time without creating (too much) flow?
I use a small pump to get water from a five gallon bucket into my tank without the strain of lifting. A plus is you can aim the hose so the water flows onto your hard scape, such as a rock or driftwood rather than the substrate.

I use a small pump to get water from a five gallon bucket into my tank without the strain of lifting. A plus is you can aim the hose so the water flows onto your hard scape, such as a rock or driftwood rather than the substrate.

+1 on this technique. I use a small pond pump like the ones for fountains.

Back
Top Bottom