Channel Catfish not eating!!! HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cubanboy1538

Aquarium Advice Newbie
About 5-6 days ago I caught 9in channel cat. I had it in a large blue bucket in my garage for a couple days where it did not eat a thing. I moved it to a 10gal (around that) and it still I think is not eating. I think it might be in shock but I have no idea how long that lasts. It shares the tank with one 3in bluegill. There is a bubbler, ph fine, ammonia fine ',temp 76. There is nothing in the tank not even shelter to hide. I am currently trying to feed him live food (fathead minnows and ghost shrimp) but I am failing. The blue gill I caught seems to be eating. The one lively sign from the cat is that he killed a ghost shrimp 2 days ago but spit it out and he keeps moving my 2 fake plants around at night(which I am assuming is good). If ANYONE can help they will be thanked greatly.
PS- for everyone who is going to tell me how big they get. I KNOW. I just need to keep him in that tank for about a month until I'm done with my pond.

it's toooooooooooo big !!!!!! it's stressed!!!! release it plz!! he will need around a 200-500 gallon tank or more and you cant provide this that bluegill shouldnt be in there either!!!!!!!

I'm putting it in a 1000-2000gal pond in a month. And I don't plan on releasing it because it's my favorite fish just need some advice here.

Would you happen to know how I can unstress him so that he can eat?(he's got to stay in that tank)

yea he's cramped in a larger space he'll eat. what are you feeding him? it would have to be something like catfish bait or minnows or worms bc he's wild.

Ii was trying to feed him worms and shrimp pellets but I went out and bout some fathead minnows and ghost shrimp to feed him( I put 2 minnows and a shrimp to leave over tonight to see if he will eat them) . I guess I should try and hurry the pond up.

yea it'd be best to get the pond up as soon as possible and get him a big container until them and a big filter.

Do you have any idea what he will be like in the pond? Because I would like to keep some koi with him and maybe eventually hand feed him.

I would release both of the fish immediately, it's inhumane to keep them in those conditions. Were talking about a bluegill and channel cat which are 2 of the most common and easiest fish to catch. Build your pond then stock it!

Just try and get the pond up quickly and maybe consider a larger tank or kiddie pool for the time being while he is not in the pond.
Why he is not eating? Because he is stressed. Try and tempt him with foods that will wriggle in front of him and maybe some blood worms would work well for that. Good luck with the pond and fish.
Also Im not sure how aggresive those fish are but i think you might be able to put a few koi in there. But im not sure

He ate the minnows!!! But we found him on the ground in the morning( thinking he flew out trying to eat the bluegill cuz all the minnows are gone and they are not on the floor) . We put him back in the tank and he's doing great. Gills nice and easy and every thing. Thank god he's a catfish. I'm going fasten netting over the tank so that he will not be able to jump out. The pond is getting done.

Back
Top Bottom