Cheato, stupid question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do you grow it? I get the under water light an all but what else do I need? Been reading all night about it. Seems its very beneficial to SW tanks. But what exactly do I need. I took the bio balls out and my buddy gave me LR to but in there but I have a lot of room to add other stuff. I've read on nano sites that people add carbon packs, filter pads and some say even better chemi pure elite. They even say remove the filter am place filter floss on tray of second chamber.

Is this algae something you can buy?

BTW, Ryan... I'm balding FAST!!!

Chaeto is a macro algae and readily available for purchase online. Besides light, the chaeto doesn't need much else in the form of things. It will grow off your nitrates/phosphates etc.

AquaRick said:
Chaeto is a macro algae and readily available for purchase online. Besides light, the chaeto doesn't need much else in the form of things. It will grow off your nitrates/phosphates etc.

Been looking online cant find it anywhere. I'm gonna try again, I ordered the under water light so now I'm on the hunt.

Thank you. I thought I needed an underwater light in the chamber where it would be. Like my BC in chamber 2.

So does it need an underwater light in the chamber or not if it's already grown?

My order will be here Tuesday.

I still don't know what you mean by underwater light? My light just sits on top of the sump

Yeah, I'm a bit confused on the underwater light too. You could almost compare it to java moss if you wanted. Doesn't take a ton of light, and if possible, it's good to run it on a reverse lighting schedule from your DT... but I don't know if you could do that in a biocube.

macroalgae definitely needs light to grow. Can you place a light over it, or will it have to be submerged?

Sorry for the confusion. Hopefully this will help. I've read that I would need this in my second chamber of the BC. Right now I have live rock in there and was gonna do some other stuff as well as this algae.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Underwater-10W-Single-Light-WTL10.htm

The hood lights don't go back enough to light that chamber. I could always do a DIY LED and put it on the hood so it goes over the chambers. Not sure if it's enough.

mr_X said:
macroalgae definitely needs light to grow. Can you place a light over it, or will it have to be submerged?

It will be submerged in chamber 2 with the live rock. Was also gonna add chemi pure elite as well.

Man I wish I saw this before Dino. I have some spare cheato I'm trimming this weekend lol.

NyteGTI said:
Man I wish I saw this before Dino. I have some spare cheato I'm trimming this weekend lol.

HAHAHAHA!! GREAT!! Guess what?! Got an email. OUT OF STOCK!! Guess he's growing a new batch. Said he'd email me when it's grown.

So..... :)

soo meetup half way for a beer & a cheato swap lol. I'm free tomorrow afternoon & was going to head up to Aquatic obsessions in Avenel NJ anyways. thats not quite half way but I can meet you where ever if you want. You've got my number. I've only got enough trim off for about half a baseball size. so I dunno how much your friend wants. but it grows pretty quickly

NyteGTI said:
soo meetup half way for a beer & a cheato swap lol. I'm free tomorrow afternoon & was going to head up to Aquatic obsessions in Avenel NJ anyways. thats not quite half way but I can meet you where ever if you want. You've got my number. I've only got enough trim off for about half a baseball size. so I dunno how much your friend wants. but it grows pretty quickly

I'll text you later on!! :)

Back
Top Bottom