Check out this tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishalicious

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I've been seriously considering a 150 gallon tank within the next 6 months or so to house (possibly) some lake malawi african cichlids. I've been looking on ebay and searching google but this is really the best I could get for an acrylic 150 gallon:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20755&item=4332380267&rd=1

It's a really REALLY nice tank though. Looks like very good craftsmanship although w/shipping it's going to cost me about $830 total just for the tank.

It would be really nice to find an acrylic tank maker in the New England area that isn't so expensive and that I could drive there to pick it up.
Any suggestons anyone?

Also, I notice these tanks have overflow boxes.
What do they mainly do? I think that they just serve as a protein skimmer for SW tanks but I'm not sure. Would they benefit FW?

Thanks Alot!
-Dan

Well, the bid is at $400 something and even then the reserve isn't met.. then plus shipping.. then plus the stand.. and plus this and plus that..

I think you would have better luck buying a new 150gal set up for about the same price. You can try all the classifieds in the local newspapers or www.craigslist.org

Not to sound rude or anything but are you sure you even read what I posted, or even looked at the listing? Its a brand new tank, I stated that I would be doing buy it now so I know the reserve isnt met or anything... Remember, I said it would all cost be about $830 total for the TANK including shipping?

Also, I'll be doing a DIY stand so I'm not too worried on the $$ and if I'm going to buy a 150 gallon tank, I think I know what I'm financially getting myself into.

I checked classifieds, newspapers and craigslist (earlier tonight) It's not that easy coming across a 150 gallon tank those ways. Especially acrylic. Plus I think I would just want it new if it were acrylic (start off on a clean slate with scratches)

Before you post a reply, comprehend precisely what I said and what the ebay listing said. :p

-Dan

Before you post a reply, comprehend precisely what I said and what the ebay listing said.

She was just tryin' to help, fishalicious...no need to get testy about it. Good luck on finding a 150 gal tank. Acrylic especially. I know an all-glass one would be fairly easy to come by, and fairly cheap too. No where close to the price you are ttalking about. I'd do some major looking into the lfs's in your area, or even in states around you, and see if THEY can have one shipped to them, and you can pick it up. You might save yourself a WHOLE lot of money and hassle in the long run.

Good luck. 8)

Before you post a reply, comprehend precisely what I said and what the ebay listing said.
Yes sir, SIR! :lol:
Because you are cranky...I will try to ask this gently. :wink: Is there a reason that you prefer acrylic over glass? Is it a stability issue? Cosmetic perhaps? I'm just being nosey that is all.
Or you could do what I do...set your alarm and sit there at the very end of the auction and try to get it cheaper than the 'buy it now' price. hehe Then again, maybe you have a life! 8O
Good luck either way!

Yes, the overflow is the means of putting a protein skimmer in there. However, some overflow filters also act as the main filter for a tank, and contain bioballs, other media, and pumps to pump the water back into the tank.

In this case, I'm very surprised at the design that this guy/gal has chosen. I guess he/she assumes you'll be doing some of your own plumbing to get to a canister filter. Right now, it's set up to be a real PITA for getting a filter on there--think about it. It seems to be more of a reef setup.

I'm sorry. I like I said I wasn't really meaning to be a grouch but I don't know where she got all of that info from. So I apologize...

Verucaproduce: There are many pro's to acrylic over glass. To list some:
-It is MUCH lighter than glass.
-It doesn't have a 'green tint' to it when you get into the 100 gallon+ territory.
-It is more clear than glass. Resulting in a better view of your fish.
-It keeps temperatures more stable than glass (22% more stable I think it is)
-It is stronger than glass (It wouldn't shatter)

Two cons:
-The price
-It scratches easier than glass does. But you can buff the scratches out pretty easily.

Madasafish: I still don't understand the whole plumbing deals and everything like that yet. Why wouldn't I just simply be able to use a canister filter?

Any ideas on a place where I can get an acrylic tank that I can easily use w/ FW?
150 gallon preferred. I'm looking for 60"Lx24"Dx24"H

TIA
-Dan

I thought you said "althought shipping will cost me" I missed the "w/" so excuse the **** out of me.

and yes, that was a little rude.

Oh, and no where did you say you would use the "buy it now option" or that you were going to build a stand- so maybe you should re-read what *you* said before you jump down my throat.

....... not to be rude.

And another thing-

I'm not a newbie here, so I don't tolerate being spoken down to like that

I've made plently of posts where people misunderstand me, but I know they are deep down trying to help. And to jump on their case and make them feel like an idiot is totally uncalled for. I don't know if you had a bad day or what, but that doesn't mean you can bring someone else down.

:soap:

I really hate to argue so this is my final statement.

If I said the tank was going to cost me about $830 total, that would mean I would have to "buy it now" and pay the $150 for shipping.
You are forgiven for not noticing the "w/"
Its okay. I understand. You're only human.

Maybe I should've stated that I was going to build the stand which would still cost me some money. Just not nearly as much. I never complained about money problems. If I did, or wasn't sure about what it was going to cost me total, then you could start listing all of the things I would have to dish out money for.

I'm sorry and I sincerely apologize and never really did throw an attitude at you. Tone of voice would be the only indication that I was and those aren't exactly easily recognized on a computer.

-Dan

Its understandable- apology accepted. I was already kinda in a mood and when I read that it didn't help

Im always looking for a good deal when it comes to a larger aquarium.. so I assumed with just an empty tank (thinking you had to pay for the tank AND $830 for shipping) you would need all the other things that go with the tank (lights, filters, stand etc) because that is what I need with my empty 75gal and at this point I could have purchased a 75gal set up for cheaper than going the ebay route. That is why I listed all that stuff

but since its TOTAL $830 that isn't all that bad if you have the money to pay for it and the capability to build a stand for it.

n stuff

You live in Lowell so I suggest going to a gas station and buying whats called "The WantAd" its a classified magazine that comes out every week and has everything in it, including aquariums. Im lookin at last weeks issue and Ill give u some of the prices.

125- gallon in Wayland with stand,lights, filters etc for 650 /bo
150 gallon in Dorchester for 150 cuz it has a small leak which im sure is repairable
18- gallon in Lawrence for 800 compelte set up
150 gallon 275 dollars in saugus
180 gallon in Newburyport for 1400

Those are the ones over 100 gallons. All of them are in the NE range. Not sure on either glass or acrylic u'd have to call but theres an idea on where you can find some tanks that size around here.

Dang it I fergot there were two pages to this topic and didnt read the second page ehhh.

I've actually been meaning to go out and pick up a few want ad books. Thanks for letting me know there's actually stuff in there.

I appreciate it alot
-Dan

The link is broken for me- it takes me to a hotmail error msg

Well, my 75gal was SUPPOSED to come with stand,lights, filter but once we got there (after driving four hours) the guy tells me he "couldn't find the stand or lights or filter"
So i got $100 back which $50 of it I ended up spending on dinner anyways

*snarl*

so if I can find a better deal ill sell my 75gal but its not looking good

Thats funny because I would've been part of your competition had he shipped! I was totally just looking at that one a few nghts ago and I really wanted it. (Beautiful stand and canopy + its acrylic) but he didnt ship :x

Oh well...
I still got a bargain and a half!

-Dan

Back
Top Bottom