Checking for Leaks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpAceGiRl94

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I may be getting a new 30 gallon tank. However, the person I'm getting it from says that it may leak (luckily she is just giving it to me). The reason why the possible leak is due to her finding little puddles (only twice has she found them) at the back left corner of her aquarium. However she doesn't know if it was due to her cats or due to a leak. Apparently her cats liked to drink from the filter and would also dip their paws in. My question is how do I check this for leaks when I live in an apartment and where it is winter so I can't set it outside very well (the water would likely freeze)? Is there any foolproof way of checking for leaks while in an apartment? Or do I need to wait for summer until I can get it set up? I suppose I could set it up in the bathtub and then just work around it for a few days but I would prefer not to do that if possible. I believe, based on the description, it is a 30 gallon tall. I have not yet seen this aquarium but she said she hopes to get it to me next week. As far as the actual puddles, she did not describe the size or the time frame when both happened.

Bathtub was going to be my recommendation. When you go to pick it up you can look at the seal on the inside. If it looks torn, brittle, broken or pulled away from the glass then its time for a reseal. Really not a hard job but can take awhile.

Okay. If I find that it does leak, would it be worth resealing the whole thing? Or is that even possible? How will I pinpoint the exact location of the leak? Or is it a guesstimation?

And how will I know if the seal looks brittle? I'm new to the aquarium hobby so I'm not sure what to look for.

Okay. If I find that it does leak, would it be worth resealing the whole thing? Or is that even possible? How will I pinpoint the exact location of the leak? Or is it a guesstimation?

Is it worth it would be up to you. It will cost about $15-20 for the silicon and gun. I'm not really sure how much a 30g tall tank would cost new. $30-60? Somewhere in there probably? If it is leaking then I wouldn't worry about from where. I would just do a complete reseal of the inside of the tank instead of trying to fix just that one spot. You can YouTube videos of "resealing aquarium" to see what all it takes. You can use GE silicon 1 that you can buy at Lowes or home depot. You don't have to use expensive silicon that is said to be only for aquariums. DONT USE ANY OTHER GE SILICON THEN SILICON 1!!!

And how will I know if the seal looks brittle? I'm new to the aquarium hobby so I'm not sure what to look for.

You will have to touch it to see if its brittle. If she has been using it then its more then likely not going to be brittle. If it feels spongey then its fine. If its hard and feels like it would shatter or tear if you move it to much then its brittle. Think gooey taffy vs. Peanut brittle. Here are a few pics of bad or older and worn tanks. These you don't want to see unless you are fine doing a tank reseal.
OK so it wouldn't let me link a photo bucket image so its just the one picture.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20150518/4d551b8c0bd3d8231c5f662e1052557a.jpg

I think resealing would be worth it, and good to know on the silicon. Thank you :)

As far as I know she has not been using it so I will definitely be checking on the texture of the seal. Thank you also :)

If you have a large plastic storage tub that the tank would fit in, you could use that to test for leaks. (We have large ones for our cats litter boxes. They come in handy for all sorts of uses. )

Just put it on your kitchen floor and fill it up. See if it leaks. You'll know pretty quickly if it's going to leak.

Back
Top Bottom