Chemical Confusion ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

domsmom

Aquarium Advice Activist
For a while our nitrites & nitrates where high. I seem to have gotten those down for now, but the pH & alkalinity are both pretty low as well. Is it bad that one or both of these are low now? If so, now what?
thanks!

In the tank:
*3 painted tetra
*2 serpae tetra
*2 mm platy
*7 mm platy fry

Generally, no, thats not actually a big deal. Fish are pretty adaptable to pH as long as it remains stable. Stability is more important than any specific number.

The pH is around 6.4...the second thing, is that the hardness of the water? If so, the water is very hard. Def use conditioner! The pH has actually been very stable, just on the acidic side. I'm really happy with the nitrate & nitrite levels! They were both pretty high!

They seem to be? They are swimming around and eating! I got the liquid chemical test kit! I tested the pH just now and it was YELLOW!

What's the PH out of your tap? I'd suggest testing your tap water's PH out of the faucet and then let some water sit in a glass for 24 hours and then test again; sometimes after the water degasses the PH will change and that's what your tank's PH should be. If it's falling then you'll either need to increase water changes during the week to keep it stable or if that doesn't work you can add a small amount of crushed coral to the filter to help buffer the water and keep PH stable. My water is pretty soft: KH 2 and GH 3 with a PH out of the tap at 8.4 but it settles out at 7.2 which is what my tank's PH is. I do 2 pwc per week and have a few pinches of CC in my filter to keep things stable.

Back
Top Bottom