cherry shrimp missing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skenny

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got 2 cherry shrimp today. one of them is missing. i literally took the tank apart looking for him, but still cannot find him. I have gl tetras, cories, and guppies in the tank. What do you think happened to him? I am very upset that my new cherry shrimp is MIA.

He could've jumped.
But really I think you're jumping the gun and taking apart the tank wasn't necessary. Theyre good hiders. And if theyre tiny he could've gotten sucked into the filter

How long can they live out of water? He wouldnt be able to fit in the filter intake. COuld he have been eaten?

I don't think any of those fish could have eaten him if he can't fit into a filter intake.
Guppies can harass shrimp into hiding though.
They'll also climb into plants and be hard to see

well i took all the plants out and looked, no shrimp...
Im really at a loss of where he is.
DA203762.jpg
the filter intake looks like this,, you would have to be really small to fit through that.

Hmm idk. But this has happened a few times. People post about this and say they lift every decoration. Only to have the shrimp show up a few days later. Did u take the decorations out completely? Maybe he fell when you did that?

yes i took out all the decorations fully. But i looked carefully over the water first. No shrimp at all. I really think my tetras ate him or something. But now i am out six dollars on the first day of having the shrimp...

for 2 cherrys each was three dollars. I still have one but i think its just a matter of time.

I have learned that shrimp tend to pop back up sometimes when I was sure they were gone. I have even lost track of my bamboo shrimp and they are 2.5 inches long! Hopefully they turn up again.

Im pretty sure its impossible for the shrimp to still be in there. could he be under the gravel?

Well what am i supposed to do now... Ill be setting up a guppy fry tank tommorow maybe. It will not be cycled. can i put him in there if hes still alive.

Yeah you can but I don't see the point in moving the other one. Id wait and see if the other shows up.

well i got them for a the fry tank originally, will he eat the fry? i dont think ill be finding that other shrimp though. probably jumped or got eaten. I can put them in an uncycled tank??

Uhmm. I've always heard dwarf shrimp are very peaceful and wont attack fish. I've never heard or experienced anything specifically with fry. But I don't think they would. They'll clean up the extra crushed flake or whatever else gets on the bottom too.

well i got them for a the fry tank originally, will he eat the fry? i dont think ill be finding that other shrimp though. probably jumped or got eaten. I can put them in an uncycled tank??
No you cannot...they are somewhat sensitive to water conditions, especially copper

I am just very upset my brand new shrimp is missing. I think they where overpriced too. 3 dollars for 1.

Skenny, I would bet that shrimp is still in there. Your shrimp probably does not fit in their mouth. My Kribs have a hard time with a full grown shrimp.

You should go the shrimpfarm.com and read about them. There you can get 20 Red Cherry Shrimp for $20 delivered I think...I did. Last time I cleaned my Aquaclear 30, I had 7 shrimp in there but not full grown.

i really doubt hes still in there as much as i want to believe he is. i took out all the plants and decor, looked in the filter, and heater, searched the gravel and looked frantically, i still cannot locate this shrimp.
i looked on the shrimpfarm, you can get 30 for 40 shipped, i dont need 30 however...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom