cherry shrimp question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fish are sensitive to nitrates that high too. Try to keep your nitrates below that, below 10ppm if you can unless you have a planted tank.

I believe that most fish can survive quite well in nitrates well over 40. I do believe that shrimp are a bit more touchy about the nitrates.

They are realitively easy to keep and should be fine in 20ppm nitrates.

Did you have some die?

Inverts are very sensitive to copper, so if you had to medicate the tank that would of killed them easily.

I don't have yet and am planing to get some. I have bad experience on ghost shrimp. They all died within 2 months.

I think that ghost shrimp are often kept and sold as feeders, so they may have a lot of the problems that feeders generally have: kept in lousy conditions, disease etc. Hopefully you'll find the cherries to be better in terms of hardiness.

Like majolo says, Ghost shrimp are most often sold as feeders and are therefore treated as feeders and that's why lots usually die within the first couple months if not weeks of having them. But then sometimes you'll get some that last it seems like forever. I've got about 20 in my 54 gallon planted and I haven't added any in a little over a year.

Shrimp are really sensitive to Nitrates. If you keep shrimp in your tank be sure to keep the Nitrates below 20ppm. It's preferable to keep them below 10ppm if you can, but anything over 19/20ppm can be deadly to shrimp.

-Pleco

My nitrates are usually around 20ppm (and have gone up to 40ppm a couple times cause I'm stupid). It's a planted tank and I do a pwc every two weeks. I have amanos, ghosts, vampires, and a bamboo shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom