Chihiros led

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi guys, here is the PAR info. Cheers Bert. I bought two of these thinking that the wouldn't be enough. To think I was about 200+ PAR it's no wonder I had problems. I'm at about 40cm though so with two at level 2 I estimate I'm about 40-50 PAR but with two lights I get a better spread as LED do tend to be poor at spread.

View attachment 297129

I know that one on full power can grow Monte Carlo.

View attachment 297130

You won't get the colours of the finnex as they give out a whiter light. If I'd have known they did a colour one I'd have got one of each. They pack a punch so keep it low to start off then see how far you can get.

Read this link Champ was referring to and you see (if the info is genuine) that most ADA tanks at this convention were running approx 40-50 par at substrate and were growing the lot.

http://www.barrreport.com/forum/bar...-aqua-forest-and-nice-low-par-values-who-knew

Good luck. [emoji846]

Thank you for the link and par data. My plan was to gradually raise the light lvl up slowly but never going past 4/5. I'm guessing that should be enough to grow a decent Monte Carlo carpet. This is my first attempt at a carpet so fingers crossed.

To be honest I am mentally preparing myself for a algae problem, I'd prefer hair algae over bba though lol.
The 20 inch version set me back about 35$ with free shipping.

You won't get algae of you keep it at the lower settings. 2 or 3 will be a good start.

Yes I agree. I did not realize the drop off in par on lower settings

You won't get algae of you keep it at the lower settings. 2 or 3 will be a good start.

After reading the comments in that link i doubt I'll go past 4. I never thought that those tanks were running low/med light. I always figured to get a lush carpet of hg you would need high light and high co2.

After reading the comments in that link i doubt I'll go past 4. I never thought that those tanks were running low/med light. I always figured to get a lush carpet of hg you would need high light and high co2.

I think you need co2 and good fert dosing. ADA substrates will have taken care of that but the lights I think have been very cleverly developed (even though Barr think they are kind of taking the mick) I think they have limited the light to stop people growing algae. The less algae you get in a full commercial setup the better $$ it's a fool proof system for the beginner and the light spectrums are perfectly designed to give very pleasing aesthetic results. +1 for ADA if you ask me.

I think you need co2 and good fert dosing. ADA substrates will have taken care of that but the lights I think have been very cleverly developed (even though Barr think they are kind of taking the mick) I think they have limited the light to stop people growing algae. The less algae you get in a full commercial setup the better $$ it's a fool proof system for the beginner and the light spectrums are perfectly designed to give very pleasing aesthetic results. +1 for ADA if you ask me.
Definitely agree. All these light manufacturers have a vested interest to get spectrums and par right based on length (tank size) there going on. I actually a couple years ago met some seachem guys at work.

Very impressed with knowledge and the commitment/investment they put into products. Alot can be said for the builders of quality products in our hobby.

So I've had my chihiro led for about two weeks now and it's a excellent led. I have it on the second lvl and I've seen new growth coming from the Monte Carlo. I'm hoping it will do better once I include co2 into the tank

Around 12, that's including 2 inches of substrate. I have the lights on for about 6 hours.

Thanks so if those PAR values I posted further up are accurate you are around 30 PAR mark.

A lot of my MC grows upwards. I have more co2 than you and more light so this leads me to believe it is a nutrient issue.

What's your substrate and how often do you do water changes?

Bottom layer is eco complete and top layer is fluval stratum. I use diy root tabs and that's practically it for nutrients for my tank. Don't have anything but root feeders.

Back
Top Bottom