Chirp's 16 Gallon Tank: Journey into confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chirp

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is my currently layout.
It's about a month old and finished cycling w weeks ago.
Currently it has:
1 ocellaris clown
1 Pygmy angel
1 yasha goby

1 pistol shrimp
1 fire shrimp
1 starfish
several hermit crabs
several snails

57282-albums9053-picture34978.jpg

57282-albums9053-picture35361.jpg

Need help with coral placement:
Im planning to introduce coral to the tank, and I made a layout:
57282-albums9053-picture35360.jpg

My questions:
1. Will any of the coral placement be an issue?
2. Will I need to add supplements? I'm planning to do 30% weekly water changes, and 1 lfs person said that wouldn't have to, and another lfs person said that i would still have to add a supplement like "reef snow"?
3. Should I put the bubble coral in area 1 or area 2?
4. Any suggestions as to what I should put in the "?" area?
5. Do I have adequate lighting? Currently I have: 1 ecoexotic panorama led light (8500k), 2 innovative marine 8watt led lights (14k). The tank is about 13" deep.
6. Do I have enough flow? The tank is about 23.5" long. Asides from the pump that came with the tank, I added a Hydor 420.
7. Should I put some chaeto in the sump in the back?

Here's a link to the specs of the innovative marine lights:
http://edc1.f3images.com/IMD/UserManuals/0I10204.pdf
http://edc1.f3images.com/IMD/UserManuals/0I10204_1.pdf

Hey Chirp, nice setup!
I can help on some of your questions.
Placement: everything looks pretty good, nice schematic btw, I would place the Bubble higher up and not between rocks, put it were it won't abrade anything with its polyps. They are quite delicate. Shrooms are lower light and could go on the fringes of your light coverage too. A nice hammer or frogspawn would be nice in ? Area, as long as it can't reach your brain, and they can extend tentacles about 5 inches, to attack. They would be OK by the torch, you don't WANT them touching, but they are about evenly matched, and will co-exist.
Supplements: with weekly pwc's, with a quality reef salt, you don't need to.
Marine snow is actually a coral food, not a chemical supplement. Feeding corals is dependent on the amount of light available, and the type of corals. Most corals don't really NEED food, except non-photosynthetics, with adequate lighting, but many people do feed. As long as your system can handle feedings and export the waste efficiently, IMO it does help.
Lighting: sorry don't know much about the LED's, I run T5's, but many people are doing well with them, post a thread asking about LED's specifically, and someone will help.
Hope this helps, looks like a good plan, and good luck!

Thanks for your advice FLreefer.
Ill look into hammercoral.

Looks good to me, but the plate should be on the sand bed I think. That is where I have both of mine.

If the plate is short tentacle, yes. If the plate is a long tentacle, no. The long tentacles tend to stretch out quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom