Choosing Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abigail

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I am once again attempting to put together a list of fish to go in (probably) a 55gal tank, except now, I actually have money. :cool:
I am quite inexperienced and just trying to learn and start easy, so what about these three fish in the tank so far? (This is not all I want in there...unelss it's already too much??)
Blue Cobra Guppies (3)
Black Viel Angel (2) (keep the guppy population down?)
Cherry Barb (4)
I feel like whenever I try to put together a stock list, I'm doing it so blindly! I have no idea what fish to put with what! I guess I've got to start somewhere. Any suggestions or tips would be great. Thanks in advance.

Okay first off let's ask the question everyone will eventually ask.

1. Is your tank cycled?
2. What are your water parameters?
3. Do you own an API master test kit?

If your gonna breed guppies 1 male to 2-3 females is the general rule of thumb. Also angels you may wanna have odd numbers as I believe it will curb aggression but be wary they may snack on your guppies. Cherry barbs like groups so I would go 5 or more.

What have you thought of for bottom feeders? Corys? Maybe a bristlenose pleco or two. Live plants or fake? Driftwood? Have you considered maybe a community tank and a pair of Bolivian or German blue rams as an alternative to angels?

This is just food for thought. I'm not an expert and I'm still learning myself. I have a 30 gallon so stocking a 55 I'm going on a whim here. If you like floating live plants duckweed is inexpensive and the roots dangle down so it's a nice alternative and it helps with nitrates. Driftwood is good for the bristlenoses diet and they don't get too large maybe 15cm. Corys like groups of 5 and are good food picker uppers. If you try rams go Bolivian as they tend to be more tolerable then GBR'S to water conditions. If you want guppy fry get a breeder net or have lots of java moss for the fry to hide in.

I hope I've helped a bit. And will try and help more if I can.

Back
Top Bottom