choosing the right cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lindsay1718

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone,
I have a 36 gallon bowfront tank mildly planted that has been up and running since the end of September. I have 5 scwartz's cory cat, 10 cardnial tetras and an angelfish. I had 2 angelfish and 6 cory cats but my heater went crazy and heat went up too fast and they died. I now have 2 smaller jager heaters so that doesn't happen again. Its been about a month since all that, I wanted to make sure everybody else would be ok. So now I want to add my last addition. I really love Angels but am worried that they will not get along since my gold angel has been solo for a month and is not as young (a little bigger than a quarter) I have had angels before in a bigger tank but had to downsize:bawl:, due to space in our new home. I also thought about apistogramma (orange flash), GBR's or bolivians. The reason I resisted the latter two was I love my corys and am worried they would be harassed by the other dwarf bottom dwellers. I also would love to see more action in the middle top of tank. The cardinals do a pretty good job but they are no angelfish. Like I said I know that angels can be temperamental I have had them but in a 120 gallon and for the most part all got a long except 2 of the 6. I have tried finding info on adding another angel while mine is still pretty young, but can only find info on adding one with a full grown adult. There really is no way of redecorating the tank as it is a rock cave (built with rocks so I probably could never get it back together like that) and some mopani wood and lots of low light plants that are planted. So my question is what would you all do? Also any expereince with those dwarf cichlids and corys would be great! Thanks in advance.

I have a pair of german blue rams. They're still fairly young (about 1") but they have not bothered anyone else in my tank. Only time I've seen them chase another fish (cardinal tetra or zebra danio) is when food is involved. They have left my cories alone.

I have a pair of german blue rams. They're still fairly young (about 1") but they have not bothered anyone else in my tank. Only time I've seen them chase another fish (cardinal tetra or zebra danio) is when food is involved. They have left my cories alone.
What temp do you keep your tank? I have a local that breeder of GBR's and really like them especially since they seem healthier than some I have seen at stores, but was worried that my cories wouldn't like the high temp. Like all fishes I can find very different websites stating diffirent ranges for my cories some would put them in the right range others would not.

Here is a pic from a right after my 2 died. Just wanted to let everyone see what kind of enviroment my tank is in case a certain type of fish would enjoy it more than another. Also for filtration I have a tetra whisper for 45 gallons and a aqueon quiet (something) for a 45 gallon. I have a eheim eco for a 50 gallon I am going to be adding once I get new tubing for it. (I painted it with krylon black and let it sit a week and it still bubbled in the tank during cycling.

Attachments

• aquarium.jpg
    aquarium.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
What type of cories are they? The water temp range for corydoras vary widely.

I don't think either type of the dwarves would be aggressive towards the cories, but they may be towards the angel. Especially if they pair and spawn.

What type of cories are they? The water temp range for corydoras vary widely.

I don't think either type of the dwarves would be aggressive towards the cories, but they may be towards the angel. Especially if they pair and spawn.
They are swartz's corys. I have looked and on different sites it goes anywhere from 72-76 to 74-84, just for the swartz cory. I don't like keeping any fish at the high or low end all the time but I thought if 84 was top than keeping at 79-80 wouldn't be too bad but if normal range is only 76 than I have a problem as I keep my tank now at 77. That is interesting about them being aggressive with my angel as I assumed even if breeding they would go for bottom level fish. I thought of getting a male apisto and a male GBR but could only find a litle info on whether they would kill each other. On another forum for apisto's he said they would still show great colors as he would be showing at the male for dominance. :huh: Thanks for all the input.

What temp do you keep your tank? I have a local that breeder of GBR's and really like them especially since they seem healthier than some I have seen at stores, but was worried that my cories wouldn't like the high temp. Like all fishes I can find very different websites stating diffirent ranges for my cories some would put them in the right range others would not.

I have five sterba cories and one albino cory. temp set to 78. There is a picture of my gbr's on my profile, they are from a couple local breeders also. But all my fish are very happy.

Never have had any angels so not able to help there.

Bump still looking for any experience with angelfish.
Angelfish are hard to guess. I have an angel that is completely peaceful in my community tank. It's almost full size. But others don't have the same experience. But I'm sure that your angelfish won't stay friendly with the cardinals. I only have large schooling fish in my tank.

Thanks. I may just go with 1 male gbr and 1 male apisto...anyone ever do that combo? Or maybe just a pair of gbr's or apisto's....just cant figure it out :)

So if I went with rams how many should I get. The aquarium co op I go to, says he can sex at 90% accuracy. So just to go over its a 36 gallon bowfront, mildly planted with 5 swartz cory (only bottom dwellers) but I plan to add a few more later. I think I am leaning to lambs since my natural water is abslutely perfect for them (but I guess that goes fpr the apistos too)

With rams, I would say get a m/f pair. If you get more, they will most likely compete for space. Others may have more to say though, but that's my understanding from the research I did before getting my pair.

Thanks. I think thats what im going to do. I just feel bad for my angel, he seems lonely.

Angels do fine alone. Don't worry about that.
A pair of german blue rams will be fine. A pair of apistos will be fine. Not both though. And don't mix 1 ram with 1 apisto. While it could work out fine, it might not, since they share the same space (the bottom).
I seriously doubt your angel will ever be an issue with your cardinals unless the cardinals are especially tiny. If you have a bunch of 1/2" cardinals with a fully grown angelfish it's possible that he'd eat them. Depends on the individual fish. If they don't fit in the angel's mouth you're fine.

You could definitely do a m/f pair of rams, or a m/m ram/apisto combo.

I have a 46 gallon bow and I have a m/f pair of rams and m/f pair of apisto cacs without a problem.

Back
Top Bottom