Cichlid to Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjsans

Aquarium Advice Regular
I would like to change my 125 gallon tank from my African Cichlids to a well planted community tank. I have well water which is very hard.

Hard water usually means live bearers. My concern is the off spring. I don't want a bunch of fry in my tank. They are very difficult to remove in a well planted community or even rock tank of Cichlids.

I need suggestions for fish. I want color and personality. Do I stick with all males? That seems to be a set up for real problems.

:thanks: Appreciate your assist.

So you're removing all the africans, and putting in plants and new fish?

I agree that live bearers are good hard water choices, but I wouldn't limit myself too much based on your water parameters. Most amazon/asian species can be acclimated to harder waters (although breeding them is a much different story).

In a tank that size it's not really as practical to have all one sex, but it's still doable. That's what I did when I had platies, except I stocked all females. Both sexes of livebearers tend to be colorful and personable.

I really don't want those babies. Live bearers, with the exception of Fancy Guppies, are not really my favorite fish anyway. Will soft to med-hard water fish do OK with hard or very hard water? I love Cardinals, Ruby Barbs, and even Angels - but pH is too high for them). I'm planing on Gourami's, Red Tailed Botia, and Clown Loaches. I had Loaches in with my Cichlids but they kept disappearing. They should do well in the community tank.

My son has a 75 hex community and his Neons are all doing well, so I hope my Cardinals will thrive. I'm planning on a black bottom, so I really want those Cardinals. (Also 2 power heads)

What Asian did you have in mind?

:thanks: I appreciate your input.

How hard is your water? Unless it's really quite ridiculous, I don't see it being a problem for any of the species you've listed, including angels. I've kept Cardinals with success in pH 8, GH14/KH10 water. I also kept Rams in those conditions, although they did eventually end of dying of parasites (possibly water related, but probably not). They even spawned in those conditions several times, although the eggs never hatched.

By Asian species, I was just including barbs, anabantoids, loaches, etc in my statement.

Oh, thank you, thank you. This tank should be awesome if I plan this right.

I would love Angles, but I'm concerned about the power heads. They like calmer waters. They are just so graceful and calming.
Plus, they provide some size in such a large tank. Tin Foils maybe?

The flow issue is more limiting with respect to angels than the water parameters. Any reason you think you need the additional flow?

Yes, to enhance plant growth. The tank is being changed over for a showcase of plants, brightly colored fish and black bottom contrast. This 6 foot tank is in the middle of my living room.

One side is our space, the other is reserved for my long hair miniature Dachshunds that I breed and show. The 6 cages are on the other side. I don't have an outside kennel. The tank is the divider focal point of the room. They, of course, have the run of the entire living room and kitchen. The 2 rooms are unique, to say the least. The open floor plan is surrounded by antiques and old oil paintings.
The tank must be show quality - as are my dogs. All is hard to describe. If I ever get this put together I'll send pictures.

Back
Top Bottom