Clean up crew for a 20 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was looking into getting a clean up crew for my 20 gallon long tank. I wasn't sure if I would have enough tank space and compatible tankmates for one though.

My current stocking list is:
1 GBR (likes to chase the other fish)
8 neon tetras
4 platy

Is that too stocked for more fish? The ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels are all good. The filter is 200gph Aqueon Power Filter.

I was thinking something like:

5 dwarf cories or pygmy cories or some ammano shrimp
and 3 oto cats

What would you recommend? Thanks :fish2:

otos only clean up algae,and need a fairly well established tank.id go for the cories.

Platy's will eat shrimp when they shed it happened to me... Cories need a decent established tank too....

I'd go with a single BN pleco, that would cover the algae and leftover food, though in a 20 you'd need to supplement its diet with veggies.

alLexX said:
otos only clean up algae,and need a fairly well established tank.id go for the cories.

RaptorBro said:
Platy's will eat shrimp when they shed it happened to me... Cories need a decent established tank too....

What constitutes an established tank? A brand new tank that just completed a 4ppm ammonia fishless cycle has a rather stout bacteria colony. Couldn't that be considered well established?

What constitutes an established tank? A brand new tank that just completed a 4ppm ammonia fishless cycle has a rather stout bacteria colony. Couldn't that be considered well established?

corys are fine in a cycled tank. I wouldn't hesitate to put a group of 5-6 pandas/dwarf cories in a 20L, that tank has a great footprint.

What about otos? I'm picking up six cardinal tetras, three danios, three glo danios, four peppered cories or schwartz cories this Saturday. It would be nice to get two otos at the same time too. This is in a 28g bow front (24" x 15")

about six-seven months old,give or take.

about six-seven months old,give or take.

My tank has been running for 9 months, so looks like I'm good :).

There are lots of mixed answers. I'm thinking 5 or so panda, pygmy, or dwarf cories, along with a few otos. Anybody see any problems?

Is there enough space for 8 more fish?

Back
Top Bottom