Clean up crew question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bavass

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to be ordering a clean up crew/sand bed stirring crew, and a pollution prevention team and I wanted to get your opinion on it. It is for a 55g reef with 90lbs of rock. The list is as follows and most come in a package. Should I add or subtract anything, substitue?

Sand bed stirring team
15 cerith snails

Algae away team
8 Scarlet Hermits
15 Zebra Reef Hermits
15 Margarita snails

Pollution Prevention Team
1 green brittle star
1 emerald crab
1 sally light foot crab

Standard ceriths or dwarfs? And 15 margaritas will turn into 15 new hermit shells... unless you toss some empties in with all those hermits.

I have almost the same CUC as what you have there and it works out for me.

does not say on the site if they are dwarf or standard, so I would say standard. I am looking at petsolutions.com for ordering. I had a clean up crew before but I let my nitrates get out of hand and they died so there are shells in the tank. Nitrates are now at 5ppm from 160ppm

I have 6 margarita snails and they work non stop, cleaning the rocks and glass.

I've never seen ceriths stir the sand bed.
Depending on the age of the tank (newer, use less), 10-20 nassarius snails (sand stirrers), 10-20 ceriths, 15 or so margaritas, 1 fighting conch.
Skip the hermits...maybe a few if you like (not my personal favorite).
Brittle star is cool (I can't remember if the greens eat fish and other critters or not).
Emareld crab is cool (you'll rarely see it), sally lightfoot is neat too.
What about a pistol shrimp/shrimp goby combo? The pistol will burrow EVERYwhere under your rockand constanly move the sand (but, you will rarely see, but you will hear it).

JUst found the pkg for $74.99

Scarlet Hermit Crab:10 Blueleg Hermit Crab:10 Brittle Starfish:2 Coral Banded Shrimp:1 Emerald Crab:3T urbo/Astrea Snail:20 Cleaner Clam :2 Nassarius Snail - Group of 10:1

2 brittle is too much IMO. So is 3 emeralds. 30 snails? And a clam too? How old is your tank. If young still, most of that stuff is gonna starve I believe. CUC pkgs in my opinion are rated for a fully mature tank.

If it were me, that crew pkg you described might start off in maybe a 200g tank with 200+ lbs of rock - after 6 months even.

Any way you can get smaller crews locally or thru the mail?

My tank is about 4 yrs old. I had a nitrate problem and lost what few fish I had. The nitrate problem is under control and starting to add things back. It is a 55g with 50lbs of live rock and I added 40lbs of reef rock a few weeks ago.

All this time, not much or no CUC? I'm still thinking 2 brittles is too much in such a small tank. Try this Liveaquaria "build your own" cleaner pkg. Build Your Own Reef Cleaner Packages

Consider something like 1 brittle or serpent star,1 or 2 emerald crabs, 10 nassarius (great with the sand bed!), a few smaller (mexican I believe) turbos, 5 or so ceriths, scarlert reef red tip hermits, and some cleaner or peppermint shrimp (3 max IMO).

Nothing scientific on my part, just how I'd do it.

CN-89452
SW - Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crab (BYO)
Free shipping on this item $ 1.75
x

=
$35.00
CN-89184
SW - Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab (BYO)
Free shipping on this item $ 3.25
x

=
$16.25
CN-89197
SW - Nassarius Snail (BYO)
Free shipping on this item $ 1.80
x

=
$18.00
CN-89194
SW - Cerith Snail (BYO)
Free shipping on this item $ 2.10
x

=
$21.00
CN-89191
SW - Peppermint Shrimp (BYO)
Free shipping on this item $ 4.50
x

=
$13.50
CN-89188
SW - Serpent Sea Star (BYO)
Free shipping on this item $ 5.50
x

=
$5.50
CN-89200
SW - Mexican Turbo Snail (BYO)
Free shipping on this item $ 3.25
x

=
$9.75
Here you go. A bit more costly, but see whatcha think.Shipping Charges:
Free!
Ship Upgrade Selected: No Upgrade: $0.00 Priority Overnight: $10.00 Saturday Delivery: $22.50 Shipping Category 1 Sub-Total:
$119.00
If order is finalized by 9:30 AM CT, Build Your Own/Caribbean Prebuilt Reef Cleaner Kit should ship today and arrive on Friday, Nov. 6.
Product Total: $119.00
Shipping Total: $0.00
Order Total: $119.00

I use reefcleaners.org they are very good there and almost always send you extras. prices are cheap and shipping is good. they also have some base rock and other things.

I found some of these guys locally ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Thin Striped Hermit*
They are really good at taking care of spots of hair algae the seems to keep wanting to come back. I also have a few red legged and blue legged hermits in my tank.

I agree with Jnam just be aware of the freebies I got enough to share with a couple of friends. In fact I am getting an order ready now to include some more macro algae for my tank.

Yeah I had to give my freebies away too. I ordered 4 scarlet hermits and 4 zebras I got like 15 of each and a small ball of chaeto was like thesize of a basketball.

don't get too many turbos. They get huge! Instead of margarita snails, look at nerites. Margaritas can often be from cooler waters and don't live long in reef tank temperatures.

Don't get a green serpent star. Some will be safe but most can take fish if the opportunity arises. The reds or striped ones are usually safe.

For nitrate issues, try chaeto. I have a ball of it in my sump, which is just lit with a florescent 100W equivalent bulb. Just a standard house bulb. It's growing well and is a nitrate sponge.

If you are considering getting Turbo snails, then you will need to make sure 100% that your rocks are secure. Also, if you have any coral or any frags, you will want those to be battened down as well. Turbo snails are known to push over decent sized rocks, when they want to get to something. If a piece of food falls between two rocks, the snail WILL try whatever it can to get to that piece of food, and that usually involves trying to get in between those rocks. The snails shell will shift the rocks as the snail tries to get to the food.. which could cause a rock slide which could leave you in a very bad situation, and possibly with saltwater soaked floors.

On another note, please take what i am about to say in to consideration because it will save you money and water quality.

--

Margarita snails are very nice snails, and they do their cleanup job rather well too. However, margarita snails originate from deeper water, and colder waters. When we harvest these snails to use for our tropical temperature aquariums, we are only doing ourselves more harm, and are killing innocent snails. When the margarita snail goes from its natural coldwater habitat, to these warm waters(78-84 dF), we are greatly reducing their lifespan. In the wild, or in cold water tanks, margarita snails can live a considerable amount of time; over 2 years. In our warm water tanks, their lifespan is drastically reduced to 1 year, most of the time less than that. It is in ours and the snails best interest to stay away from margarita snails, unless you have a cold water tank.. or you are a snail murderer. Either way, one of us is losing. So, in my opinion, and for the safety and longevity of these snails, please do not buy margarita snails if you have warm water tanks.

Anyways, emerald crabs are awesome, i have two. Cleaner shrimp are also awesome, i have one. I would definitely suggest astrea snails, trochus snails, and there's a couple other ones that i have forgotten their names. Also.. ANY sea star should not be put in to a tank that is not mature. Mature being a year old, or maybe 9 or 10 months old. Like anemones, Sea stars are also very sensitive to water fluctuations, and do not tolerate high nitrates or any type of copper medications. And unfortunately, in the early stages of a tank, wierd water flucts are a normality. Save your money, and save your tears. Just wait until your tank is mature, and then you can get the sea stars.

I sent ReefCleaners.com an email today and they suggested that I get. My tank has been up and running for about 4 yrs. I lost all of my crabs, snails, etc.. do to a crash with Nitrates. Nitrates are back down to 5ppm.

50 Dwarf Cerith snails
16 Nassarius Vibex snails
16 Florida Cerith snails
10 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
11 Nerite Snails (Large)
2 Emerald Crabs
1 Brittle Star

I had 50lbs of live rock in the tank. I bought 40lbs of reef rock and have been washing it off soaking it and adding 2 pieces every 2 weeks. There are no fish in the tank only a few hermits and a starfish. Ammonia 0 Nitrites 0 Nitrates 15ppm

Back
Top Bottom