Clean Up Crew Suggestions, 14 GALLON

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aircrowley

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 14gallon nano w/ Pacific Coast CL85 chiller/heater and a maxijet 1200 with about 30 lbs of cured live rock and 10lbs of sand. The tank is cycled, but I need suggestions on a clean up crew. Snails, Crabs, Shrimp, etc.

I plan on having a frogspawn, some mushrooms, a few polyps and some soft corals. I plan on having a ywg/tiger pistol shrimp and a Ocellaris clownfish.

What recommendations for cleanup crew that would fight algae the best and be reef safe. Also, how many should I get. Thanks for your help.

Also, will that powerhead be sufficient?

what type of algae? sea hares are great for hair algae but will need to be hand fed after their food supply is gone. urchins are great for keeping the algae down but usually clean it right to the rock so it may also eat the wanted algae like purple or orange algae. abalones are also great for keeping algae down.. for smaller things i have emerald crabs and peppermint shrimp which i am very happy with...sand sifting snails or starfish keep the sand looking great...in my experience i have not seen any of these critters bother any corals of mine

A good assortment of snails is always a good place to start; Ceriths, Nassarius and Nerites, and maybe some Turbos. Shrimp are awesome but IMO don't do much cleaning, except the peps which will eat Aiptasia. I'd avoid a sand sifting star in a tank that small, it will starve. Hermits are fun little guys that will pick at the rocks, be sure to get the dwarf species that stay small.

Check out ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Home, they have a nice selection of clean up critters and will help you set up a good CUC for your tank.

How many snails and how many crabs? I don't want to overload, what is a good amount?

Back
Top Bottom