cleaner shrimp cleaning ME!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electrikat

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a shipment of snails and crabs and reached in to get a small snail off of a larger snail. Then I get the weirdest sensation on my hand and looked in and the cleaner shrimp is just going over my entire hand to see what he can find! How funny, it freaked me out! I just turned my hand and he followed it around until he was tired and went on about his business. Is this common?

You bet. My daughter BEGS me to let her stick her arm in the tank for a cleaning. :lol:
Its pretty common.

Attachments

• cleaning_175.jpg
    cleaning_175.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 181
my fireshrimp's a scardy cat... gotta get him to explore. thought i lost him to slightly elevated nitrates but he molted... glad he made it -- woot :)

My skunk scurries across the tank if he sees me coming. The first splash of water from my hand going in and he's jumping at me. They're maniacs. They're so desparate to clean *something* since my fish won't give them the time of day (like they'd know what to do with it anyway?!) that they clean me whenever they can. Freaked my hubby out when his hand went in though. I think the cleaner tried to clean some hair off the back of his hand *ouch*!

It feels really cool. My cleaners and peppermints do that to me. Manicure anyone?

My daughter BEGS me to let her stick her arm in the tank for a cleaning.

I know exactly what you mean Kurt! Alycia's always begging to let the shrimp clean her arm..... :D

Mine does it all the time my friends think its neat when they come over. To watch him jump on my hand they ask if they can try but only my hands in my tank :)

I have to say, cleaner shrimp make GREAT additions-they are some of the most entertaining animals you can have in a tank. Beside easily spawning in captivity, providing live food for most fish and some corals, they are colorful, engaging, and actually seeing one in "action" in your tank is very cool. I am a huge fan of them :lol:

Back
Top Bottom