Cleaner Shrimp Molt Problem???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Packohotdogs

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Everyone,

My shrimp molted again (2nd time in as many weeks). This time however, he has a piece of shell left over on his back. its about half way down and covering his swimmerets.

Being new to this, is this a problem? Will it fall off on its own? Or should I try something like catching him and removing it? I know his shell is real soft, so I don't want to hurt him.

Any thoughts?

THANKS!!
Jeff

Idk but maybe dose a little iodine or do I large water change if you have reef salt the iodine should be in that.

He's doing ok... behaving as normal. However, this molt didn't go as well as the first one.

The piece of shell fell off, but his last two swimmerets are permantly down now. Additionally, one of his antennae is about 4 inches shorter.

I am 99.9% sure one of my fish didn't get him, so not sure what happened.

I use Nutri Seawater for covienence, and it has iodine in it. I live in a condo, and it is cheap ($11 for 4.4 gallons at my LFS), so for me it is the only way to go. Plus, I test each jug I get and it has been spot on... SG + ph wise.

Do you think a iodine supplement would help him?

Nah I think he'll be fine everything will regrow next time he molts keep an eye on him if he starts to look like he's trying to dance outta his shell then I'd supplement some iodine

Back
Top Bottom