Cleaner Wrasse Whoesss......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SALTYDAWGY

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just wanted to share something that is probably so frequent that it is cliche in the hobby. Hopefully this will add tot he cautionary tales for anyone who thinks that can get away with this inexpensive bio cleaner.
I bought the cleaner wrasse for $12 from my LFS. After introducing him and watching him clean my Mac Angel, I was thrilled to watch him chow down on an open clam. I bought beef heart and watched him sample for a couple weeks. I thought I had him over the hump with beef heart supplemented with Selcon. He pestered my fish regularly and seemed to be an inexpensive yet priceless addition to my tank. After three weeks he pulled the disappearing act only to never reemerge and clean nother day. Shame on me for thinking my system could beat the odds. Thankfully my system does not have enough parasites to nourish this little guy. Just wanted to share, Guess they are better left purposely serving the reef :roll:

It's rare to come across a cleaner wrasse that eats anything else but parasites off of other fish. Probably why he began to be more of a pest than a benefit. Once in awhile I come across a cleaner wrasse that does accept other food, but overall...yes they are best left in the reefs. If you don't have any fish that naturally prey on shrimp, the skunk cleaner shrimp makes a nice alternative.

i bought one once to treat a parasite problem and unfortuneatley all they eat is the parasites then when your tank is cured their purpose is done.

what about a cleaner goby? i have one that cleans all my fish and also eats flakes and i hes been in my tank for about 6 months now and is big plump fat and happy

Hey Flame, how do you like your porcelain crab? Was considering buying one for the new tank

he does fine doesnt bother anything in the tank and he molts about once every month and half and now is the size of a half dollar and when i first got him he was a size of a penny. so i would suggest to any one to get one. just watch him with other crabs i have had my porcelain and emarld get into to a few times but they have never hurt one another.

Back
Top Bottom