Cleaning a heavily planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asohfrank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I am new into planted tanks. Initially I had a coldwater tank and didn't bother much with planting cuz the goldfish always took it out. Now i am into tropical ! So assuming i have an HC or Moss planted all over my substrate how do i ever get to clean the substrate ? Or is it a guarantee that plants in a heavily planted tank takes care of all dirt below the substrate ?

Generally you leave the substrate alone in a heavily planted tank. If you vacuum, it will only be in the open areas. Otherwise, it would be disruptive the the plant's roots. If you have invested in substrate ferts, you'd be removing those during vacuuming.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You don't. If the carpet is fragile you just leave it, if it is staurogyne repens or something that is less fragile then you can fan water over it or siphon it gently but you don't need to really.

Yep you don't need to vacuum it. I have had a 20g planted for around 2 years and haven't vacuumed it once. Water is still crystal clear and substrate still looks clean.

Back
Top Bottom